Easter Egg Lunch Hunt

Lunch time has never been so fun!
Kaylee and I decided to do something a little different with lunch! We filled Easter eggs with all sorts of lunch items. Bite sized lunch items. Even little peanut butter & honey sandwiches.
Since Kaylee and Aaron were going to both be finding these, we marked the ones for Kaylee with stickers and the plain ones would be Aaron’s. This would make splitting up lunch a little easier.
Then I got busy and hid the eggs before Aaron’s kindergarten bus arrived.
Kaylee ran right up to the bus and handed Aaron a basket. He hit the grass running.
After the eggs were found, the sorting began. It was such a beautiful day (as all of the days here in Ohio have been the past couple of weeks) so they enjoyed their little lunch outside. I usually hide eggs with little snacks as a fun afternoon activity, but Aaron liked how there were sandwiches too so I think we’ll do lunch eggs more often.

Update! 3/30/2012
I filled Dallin’s lunch box with Easter eggs the today as a fun “last day before Spring Break” lunch. He loved it and was very surprised when he opened his lunch box. He said that when he saw them he said, “What the heck?!?!?!?” and all of the kids in his 2nd grade class came over to see. They thought it was “SO FUNNY!!” and liked watching him open each and every egg to see what lunch item was inside.

Score!

If you enjoyed this post, feel free to pin it!

Comments

Very creative! I think this would also be a fun treat for a child that takes a lunch or treat to school…so much more fun to find a bunch of brightly colored eggs than a couple of plastic baggies.

Two things: I’m a grown up (last kid soon to leave the teen years) and *I* want a lunch in eggs! How fun! Second, I’m repinning this to my Bento board, because it is cute, clever, nutritious, and let’s add another clever in there :)

This is the BEST idea!!! My girls are going to be all over this one. Thank you so much! Sometimes, the meal preparation is such a drag over and over and over again. I’m sure the kids feel the same – this ought to liven things up.

Oh wow! What an awesome memory for your little ones! I am SO excited and am going to try this with my three year and 11 month olds! My toddler doesn’t want to eat anythinnnnnnng at the moment so maybe this will do the trick and be fun at the same time? Pinning this idea.

Would love if you would link it up too on my party going on now at Teagan’s Travels!

Happy Easter,
    Michelle

Thanks so much for the idea!! Did this for my 1st grader and Kindergardener’s lunches today and sent them to school with the egg carton as their lunch box. they LOVED it!! So much that I had to do a half-carton for my preschooler to take for her snack. Yay!! Super-mom!!

We usually have lunch/dinner around 3 with the in-laws on Easter Sunday. That’s tough for a 7 year old. If I feed him lunch, he isn’t hungry at 3. But it is too long for him to wait to eat.

I am going to use this idea (found you on Pinterest, btw) and put mostly fruits with a couple of small protein items so that it will tide him over until we have our main meal.

EXCELLENT idea.

So I did end up doing this, and my kids had a blast! They thought it was so much fun and enjoyed all the surprises in the eggs (we had cheese sandwiches, grapes, banana, tiny teddies, savoury crackers and ham).

Thanks for the inspiration!

Just a thought. You might want to check and see if the plastic eggs are food safe. Sometimes you never really know what is being put in the plastics that might leach into food.

Thanks for the fun idea! My daughter’s birthday is in April so last spring I filled up the eggs for their lunch. It was fun to see how they all ate them differently. Some ate one egg at a time, some emptied them all out at once.
    I didn’t hide them, but maybe next time I will…

Love this idea. . . . i clicked through a pin on pinterest, but it came up as a suspicious link and I had to bypass that to get here. Just FYI.
    Can’t wait to surprise my girl with this in her lunchbox on Friday!