Bakery sugar cookie bars are buttery, soft, and melt in your mouth delicious! Frost with vanilla buttercream and add mini sprinkles and they are the perfect dessert to serve for any occasion! This post contains affiliate links.
Watch our step by step video!
If you like our Bakery Style Sugar Cookie recipe you will LOVE these bars! They are so soft, buttery, and have just the right amount of almond and vanilla flavoring. We started making these in cookie bar form and they are so irresistible. Perfect for any holiday, but this robin’s egg frosting and mini egg sprinkles make them perfect for Easter. A pale yellow or lavender shade of frosting would be beautiful too!
Bakery Sugar Cookie Bars
These are so great to bring to parties. One sheet pan makes 40 bars, so there are plenty to share.
The combination of butter and shortening create the perfect texture. You can taste the hints of vanilla almond extract and they are rich with a buttery flavor. When made into bars they are even easier to make—no cutting or rolling out the dough! As an added bonus, you don’t need to chill the dough!
Frosting these sugar cookie bars couldn’t be simpler, just wait for the cookie crust to cool then spread with frosting. No special technique required and they turn out perfect every time.
Tips and frequently asked questions for making Sugar Cookie Bars:
Note: If you use salted butter, no additional salt is required. If you use unsalted butter, add 1 tsp. of salt in with your dry ingredients.
Tip: sprinkle dough with a small amount of flour as you are pressing into the pan to prevent it it from sticking to your hands.
Tip: when you cut the bars, use a sharp knife and clean the frosting off with a paper towel after each line of cutting. This makes for clean edges and beautiful sugar cookie bars when they come out of the pan.
Tip: Use an angled frosting spatula for perfect spreading!
Tip: I like using sheet pans instead of a casserole dish. These are my FAVORITE sheet pans to use for baking.
Can you use margarine instead of butter to make sugar cookie bars?
I don’t recommend using margarine in baking EVER. It just doesn’t produce the same results, but you could substitute it for the butter. Just don’t come back and give my recipe a negative review if they aren’t as soft. 😉
How many bars does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 40 bars.
Can you use store-bought frosting on the cookie bars?
Absolutely, but my vanilla frosting recipe is super easy and super delicious! I definitely recommend trying it!
How do you store sugar cookie bars?
Store the cookie bars in a container with a lid. You can also freeze them. They are best eaten the day they are made, but will stay delicious and fresh for 2-3 days.
Bakery Sugar Cookie Bars Printable Recipe
Bakery Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 cup butter* room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. milk
- food coloring (a few drops)
- In a large bowl combine butter, shortening, and sugar. Beat until fluffy (I use my stand mixer, but an electric hand mixer works great too).
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until a soft dough forms. Dough will be soft, but slightly crumbly.
- Scrape dough out of the bowl with a rubber spatula and press dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet/baking pan (13" x 18").
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool unfrosted bars completely.
- Mix frosting ingredients together until fluffy. Frost cooled cookie bars in an even layer and add sprinkles.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!