We went back and forth about what we should use the room for and ultimately decided that it needed to be a storage room. The room where we kept all of our games, DVDs, and craft supplies. That’s a tall order for a single room. Especially when it is the FIRST room that you see when you walk into the house.
I spent hours designing a space that I hoped would work for our family. IKEA’s design program has a lot to be desired. It froze on me a couple of times and I had to start over completely. It also doesn’t have the capability of letting you mix and match items that should be in separate rooms. ie: I wanted to use bedroom wardrobes mixed with office bookcases, but it didn’t let me combine both items into my digital design layout.
When everything was all said and done, I had a hodpodge layout of what I wanted, and my husband got started on the building process.
Every room is different, but I’ll share the products we used at the bottom of the post so that you can mix and match them to fit your space!
When all was said and done we had 2 large wardrobes, 3 narrow wardrobes, and two narrow bookcases. We added doors and handles and Derrick finished the trim.
The wardrobes are deeper than the bookcases, so they are better for storing games and bigger items. You can also put solid doors on them vs. the half glass doors that were offered for the bookcases. This is why we did not use bookcases for the entire wall. The bookcases are shorter than the wardrobes, but you can buy an extension kit and that will bring them right up to where the wardrobes are. As you can see, our bookcases don’t come out as far as the center wardrobes, and I like depth that it adds to the look of the room.
It took a couple of weeks, working here and there, for Derrick to put everything together and then I spent an ENTIRE DAY filling them up and organizing everything.
Here is the finished product…
IKEA Built Ins:
Handles from Lowe’s
CREATE poster. My own printable. I’ll share that soon! Frame from Michael’s.
With lumber, hardware, and trim, our grand total was around $1300.00.
It was an investment for sure, but one that will pay off. This was a game changer for our storage problem and will be a selling feature someday if we move.
If you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them!