Frosted root beer cookies are delicious and completely unique. A delicious snickerdoodle cookie base flavored with root beer concentrate is frosted with a yummy root beer flavored buttercream.
Watch our step by step video!
Frosted Root Beer Cookies
These root beer cookies are just plain fun. The cookies are soft and sturdy and the flavor is completely unique! They taste even better the next day, as the flavors have had a chance to meld. Bring them to your next party—they’ll go quickly!
Root Beer Cookie Ingredients
The cookie base is pretty basic. You’ll need butter, shortening* sugar, eggs, molasses, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. If you don’t like molasses you can leave it out, but I like the color it gives the cookies and it adds a rich flavor.
*I like using a combination of butter and shortening in my sugar cookie recipes because I think it gives them the best texture, but you can use all butter if you’d like.
The root beer flavoring comes from root beer concentrate. Some root beer concentrates are dark in color. The one that I used is clear. Root beer concentrate is stronger than root beer extract. Two to three teaspoons are plenty of flavoring for the cookies. (In my video it says “extract”, but I used root beer concentrate.)
The buttercream frosting is made from softened butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and a teaspoon of root beer concentrate.
How To Make Frosted Root Beer Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat in eggs. Mix in root beer concentrate and molasses.
In a separate bowl whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together.
Combine flour mixture with wet ingredients.
Scoop cookies, using a medium cookie scoop, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets (I usually bake 6 cookies per sheet).
Bake cookies for 13 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
While cookies cool, go ahead and make the buttercream frosting.
Whip frosting ingredients together. Spread over cooled cookies.
Cookies can be stored at room temperature (covered with plastic or stored in an airtight container) or chilled. This recipe makes 28-30 cookies.
Frosted Root Beer Cookies Recipe
Frosted Root Beer Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 teaspoons root beer concentrate
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon root beer concentrate
- 3-4 Tbsp. milk
Root Beer Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat in eggs, molasses and root beer concentrate.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together.
- Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture.
- Scoop cookies, using a medium cookie scoop, then place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (I usually bake 6 cookies per sheet).
- Bake for 13 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Root Beer Frosting
- Beat frosting ingredients together. Spread over cooled cookies.