Our homemade hamburger buns are incredibly soft and delicous, and perfect for burgers and sandwiches. This recipe makes 8 giant buns.
If you like our Amish dinner rolls you will love these! The recipes are very similar, with the addition of butter and an egg, making these hamburger buns just perfect! You might also like our pretzel rolls. They make the best sliders!
Watch Our Step By Step Video!
Nothing beats a freshly grilled burger on a homemade hamburger bun. You won’t find a lighter or softer bun recipe. These are absolutely perfect and nice and big, but you can totally make them smaller for sliders. I like brushing mine with an egg wash and sprinkling with sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning before baking. When the come out of the oven I give them a brushing with melted butter. YUM.
HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS
These process for making your own hamburger buns is pretty basic. You’ll create a dough using flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water, an egg, and butter. Once the dough has doubled in size, you’ll split it into 8-10 sections.
Note: these make 8 big hamburger buns (5”). You can divide into 10 portions for more standard sized buns.
Roll each section into a ball and place onto a greased baking sheet. These buns bake up big, so you’ll want to bake them 4 to a pan. This means that you will need to have two greased baking sheets ready to go.
Pat each bun down with your hands to give them more of a flat shape vs. a dinner rolls shape. You can see exactly how I do this in my video.
Once they’ve had a chance to rise again (this time for 30 minutes), brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
These buns only take 20 minutes to bake, and are delicious when brushed with melted butter right out of the oven.
After allowing the buns to cool on a baking rack, store in an airtight container until dinner time!
Amazing Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp water
- sesame seeds optional
- 2 Tbsp melted butter to brush on rolls
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in egg, butter and salt.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth (or use your bread hook/paddle on your kitchenmaid).
- Place in a well oiled large bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Shape into 8-10 balls. Place buns on greased baking sheet. Gently press down on each ball of dough to create a flat top. Allow to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Mix egg white and 2 Tbsp water together. Brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. (This step is optional)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Rotate pan halfway through.
- Brush buns with melted butter.
Tips for Making Homemade Buns
Can I use my bread maker to make the dinner roll dough?
Absolutely! Run the dough through the “dough” cycle, shape into rolls, then let rise a second time before baking.
WHAT IS THE BEST KIND OF FLOUR TO USE FOR BREAD?
I always use bread flour or all-purpose. Honestly, I can’t tell a difference between the two.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PROOF YEAST?
I like putting the warm water into a small bowl with the yeast and sugar. Give it a stir. Place a small plate on top and let it sit for 5 minutes.
WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO LET THE DOUGH RISE?
A warm place is a perfect place for yeast to do its thing. I preheat my oven for 60 seconds then shut the heat off. I place my bowl of dough with a damp cloth covering it inside my oven.