These flag sugar cookies are so easy to make with rectangle cookies and red licorice! Planning a BBQ for Memorial Day or the 4th of July? Don’t forget a sugar cookies station for the kids!
We made these flag sugar cookies for a backyard BBQ that we had a couple of years ago and they were so easy!
My kids love helping me in the kitchen so I try to include them as much as possible when it comes to meal and party planning. You can make them ahead of time or set out a sugar cookie station for the kids to use during the BBQ. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about a sprinkle mess when you are outside! Just brush the sprinkles off of the table and onto the grass. And you don’t have to stop at BBQ get togethers, these would be great for classroom parties and preschool activities too!
American Flag Sugar Cookies
(scroll down for printable sugar cookie recipe)
1 batch of sugar cookies (3.5″ x 5″ rectangle cookies)
1 container of vanilla frosting (you can use either homemade or store-bought. We used store bought)
blue sugar and star sprinkles
Red licorice (4 per cookie)
If you use my sugar cookie recipe it will yield just over a dozen 3.5 x 5″ cookies.
TIP: Use an index card as a template for cutting out cookies. A pizza cutter works great to cut clean lines around the edges.
With a toothpick, mark off a small rectangle in the corner as a guide for sprinkling the blue sugar.
Cut licorice pieces to size (it will take 4 per cookie) for the stripes.
So cute, right? These sugar cookies are perfect kids activity for your next patriotic party!
Flag Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- red licorice
- blue and star sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, shortening, and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Turn mixer down and add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Add baking powder. Sift in and flour and cornstarch until mixed thoroughly for 1-2 more minutes.
- Lightly flour your working surface and shape dough into a large ball.
- Roll dough out to desired thickness (I usually do 1/4- 3/8″) and cut into shapes. Add flour to the dough if it feels too sticky but a nice soft dough is what you want.
- Carefully transfer cut out cookie shapes with a spatula to a baking sheet.
- Bake baking sheets at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be soft.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully moving to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Spread cookies with a layer of vanilla frosting.
- With a toothpick, mark off a small rectangle in the corner as a guide for sprinkling the blue sugar.
- Add sugar and star sprinkles.
- Cut licorice pieces to size (it will take 4 per cookie) for the stripes.
Looking for more ideas for Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, or the 4th of July? You might also like…
County Fair Backyard BBQ: Tips, tricks, free printables AND recipes!
American Flag Popsicle Stick Craft from a Pumpkin and a Princess
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!