Light and buttery Valentine sugar cookies that hold their shape. The combination of butter and shortening and the addition of cornstarch make all the difference. This post contains affiliate links.
If you like these Valentine sugar cookies, you’ll love our delicious sugar cookies with lemon icing.
Ruby and I decided to make some Valentine sugar cookies. When given the choice of cookie cutters to use, hearts and bunnies always win with her. So pretty and feminine.
Ruby loves to help me in the kitchen. I cut out a big batch of hearts. She made a pan with Miffy the Bunny cookies and butterflies. They all tasted delicious.
Our sugar cookie recipe is the BEST. Light, buttery, and they hold their shape. You can use all purpose flour mixed with cornstarch or cake flour on its own. Both create a delicious cookie! We also use a combination of butter and shortening. We hope you love them. Make a batch for Valentine’s Day!
Bakery Style Valentine Sugar Cookies
The Best Valentine Sugar Cookies
- 1 c butter softened
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 4 c flour
- 1/2 c corn starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, shortening and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Turn mixer down and add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Add baking powder. Sift in and flour and cornstarch until mixed thoroughly (1-2 minutes).
- Lightly flour your working surface and shape dough into a large ball.
- No refrigeration necessary.
- Roll dough out to desired thickness (I usually do 1/4- 3/8″) and cut into shapes. Add flour to dough if it feels too sticky but a nice soft dough is what you want. Carefully transfer cut out cookie shapes with a spatula to a baking sheet. Bake baking sheets at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be soft. Let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before carefully moving to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Baking Tips for Soft Sugar Cookies
These cookies are soft all the way through. I reduce my temperature to 325 and bake them for 11 minutes (ovens vary) which leaves them cooked through and not brown on the bottom at all. They have crisco and butter so they hold their shape and they also have cake flour for a light texture.
DOES SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
Some recipes call for refrigeration, but this one doesn’t. If you’d like to make it ahead of time you can wrap the tough tightly in plastic wrap and then use later, but this is a great last minute recipe because refrigeration is not necessary.
WHY DO YOU USE A COMBINATION OF CORN STARCH AND FLOUR FOR SUGAR COOKIES?
Corn starch softens the dough making it feel like a cloud. It also makes for a softer sugar cookie.
WHY DO YOU USE BOTH BUTTER AND SHORTENING FOR SUGAR COOKIES?
I like using both for flavor (butter) and texture (shortening).
HOW LONG WILL SUGAR COOKIES LAST?
These will stay fresh for about 3 days, but you can freeze them for months.
Looking for the perfect sugar cookie frosting recipe? Nice and creamy. Here’s our favorite!
VANILLA BUTTER CREAM FROSTING
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 3 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3-4 T. milk
- Whisk ingredients together and spread over cookies. Refrigerate leftovers.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! You can find my recipe here.
You might also like these Valentine’s Day Recipes
Peanut Butter Truffles: Crunchy peanut butter, rice krispies cereal, and white chocolate combine to create a decadent peanut butter truffle. Make a batch for Valentine’s Day!
White Chocolate Raspberry Scones for Valentine’s Day: Fresh raspberry scones that are light and melt in your mouth buttery. The addition of white chocolate chips makes them decadent and perfect for a Sweetheart’s breakfast on Valentine’s Day!