Easy Valentine sugar cookie decorating tips for kids and adults! We’ll show you how to make a darling pig, heart and LOVE cookie with these tips! This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like our easy tutorials for decorating Christmas sugar cookies with kids!
Watch our step by step video!
Sugar cookie decorating might seem intimidating, but it is actually really easy! You just need the right tools. We’ll share how to make a darling pig, heart and L-O-V-E sugar cookie for Valentine’s Day! I found a pig cookie cutter and knew we had to add it to our collection. Ruby adores pigs and these sugar cookies were so perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Easy Valentine’s Day Cookie Decorating
This technique is simple and works for decorating ANY sugar cookie, no matter the shape! All you need is a round tip and a star tip! If you’d like to fill in a large area REALLY fast you can also pick up a large 1A tip (which is a REALLY LARGE round tip).
Sugar Cookie and Frosting Recipe
I don’t use royal icing for my sugar cookies. Buttercream works just fine! Scroll to the bottom of the post for our recipes. You might notice that the frosting measurements have been doubled. When decorating with frosting tips I always make extra frosting. It uses more frosting than just spreading the cookies with a butter knife. If you have leftover frosting you can store it in the refrigerator or freeze it.
I have a weakness for cookie cutters and have way too many. We purchased some individually and others came in a multi-pack. I’ll add links to our favorite ones for Valentine’s Day.
Best Frosting Tips for Kids
For these cookies we are using 3 different tips: 5 (or 7), 21, and 1A. These are standard tips that are easy to work with and are very forgiving.
Amazon is the best place to order a 1A tip, but you can find the others at Joanns or Michael’s. You might even find a great little starter set that includes both. Again, tip 1A is optional, but makes decorating large areas a breeze!
Tip: Buy 2 of each kind of tip. This makes it easier to work with a variety of frosting bags filled with different colors!
- 5 and 7 are small round tips. They are very similar in size, so just use what you can find!
- 21 is a star tip.
- 1A is a large round tip.
Tips for using round tips: apply firm pressure for a smooth application.
Tips for using star tips: use short “bursts” instead of applying firm, steady pressure. You aren’t making lines or covering large sections, you are making small stars bursts all over the cookie.
Other Useful Items for Cookie Decorating
- Disposable Frosting Bags: these are convenient to have and just toss after using.
- Couplers: couplers attach to the frosting bag and make it easy to switch out the frosting tip that you are using. With a coupler you can switch from a round tip to a star without filling a new bag with frosting!
How To Use a Coupler
How To Fill a Frosting Bag
Let’s get started!
Easy Valentine Sugar Cookie Decorating
Valentine Sugar Cookie Decorating Tips
- #21 frosting tip
- #5 frosting tip
- 1A Frosting Tip
- Pastry Bags
- Pastry Bag Couplers
- 1 batch sugar cookies (our favorite recipe)
- 1 cup butter softened
- 6 cups powdred sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6-8 Tbsp. milk
- Whisk ingredients together. Seperate into bowls and add food coloring.
- Fill pastry bags with frosting and desired frosting tips.
- Use tip #5 to pipe around the edge of the pig cookie. Fill in the ear, tail and feet.Pipe frosting back and forth in straight lines, horizontally to fill in center of pig.
- Add eyes and a heart sprinkle for the snout.
- To use a 1A tip, hold the tip CLOSE to the cookie (1/4″ away). Squeeze the frosting and drag it across the cookie for a smooth application.
- Add sprinkles.
- Use short “bursts” instead of applying firm, steady pressure. You aren’t making lines or covering large sections, you are making small stars bursts all over the cookie.
- Change frosting colors for a variety of star bursts.
L-O-V-E Sugar Cookie
- Outline every other letter with a #5 tip.
- Fill in remaining letters with the star tip.