These chocolate peanut butter eggs are the real deal. So delicious, easy to make, and perfect for Easter!
Watch our step by step video!
Chocolate peanut butter eggs are an Easter tradition. Whether purchased or homemade, they are always a part of of our Easter baskets! You can use a mold to form each ball of peanut butter filling into an egg shape or form them yourself. We’ve made them both ways, and I actually prefer just forming them by hand.
When I first shared these in 2015 I used a mold and specialty chocolates from a store that is no longer around. I’ve since updated the recipe to use ingredients that are easily accessible and they taste JUST like the ones we made years ago. Rich, creamy and totally gives Reese’s a run for their money.
This is the same filling (minus Rice Krispies cereal) that I use for the filling in my white chocolate peanut butter truffles. It’s SO good!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- melting chocolate
The peanut butter filling is a dream to whip up and form into egg shapes. Once you’ve formed 20-22 egg shapes, freeze for 45 minutes or until they are frozen and hard. This will make them easier to handle when dipping into the chocolate.
Best Chocolate For Dipping
I like using Ghirardelli melting wafers for these. You can find them at most grocery stores. You can also use chocolate chips melted down with a tablespoon or two of oil. Here’s a recipe for that. Because the eggs are frozen, they will harden quickly once dipped so you’ll need to add sprinkles to the immediately. I add sprinkles after dipping each one.
If you find that your chocolate is beginning to cool towards the end (because you’ve been dipping cold peanut butter eggs into it), add some warm chocolate or gently warm the bowl until the chocolate reaches the correct working temperature.
This recipe makes 20-22 chocolate peanut butter eggs.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These eggs will last for a couple of weeks!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 14-16 oz. melting chocolate wafers (Ghirardhelli)
- sprinkles optional
- Mix all ingredients together (except for chocolate) using an electric mixer until it forms a soft dough.
- Scoop filling with a cookie scoop. Roll into a ball then form into an egg shape and press down to flatten, slightly.
- Place peanut butter eggs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze 45 minutes or until hard.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals (stirring after each interval) until smooth. This will take about a minute. DO NOT overheat or chocolate will not be usable.
- Dip peanut butter eggs in chocolate, tapping fork against side of bowl to allow excess to drip off.
- Set on baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Add sprinkles immediately before chocolate hardens.