Watch our step by step video!
What is Chicken Chow Mein
Have you ever done an internet search for a chow mein recipe? It will result in hundreds of variations. I had no idea there were so many ways to make it. I just knew that I always ordered it when I would go to my favorite Chinese food restaurant in California.
How To Make Chicken Chow Mein At Home
Chow Mein Ingredients
- Chicken thighs
- Coleslaw Mix
- Bean Sprouts
- Green Onion (garnish)
- LOW SODIUM Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Sesame Oil
- White Pepper
My favorite noodles to use are found in the Asian section at the grocery store (Walmart). Each package comes with two pouches. “KA-ME Hokkien Stir-Fry Noodles”. You’ll need two packages (4 pouches) for this recipe. If you can’t find these, refrigerated noodles work great too.
The best tip for cooking Chinese food is HEAT. Cook on high or medium-high the entire time.
Homemade Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 lb. chicken thighs cut into bite-sized slices
- 4-6 Tbsp. oil divided
- 2 14 oz. packages Stir Fry Noodles heat and serve noodles
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 16 oz. bag coleslaw mix veggies
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat a large skillet on HIGH HEAT. Add 2 T. oil. Once the oil is heated, add chicken in a single layer.Reduce heat to MED-HIGH. Let cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring to allow it to brown. Flip chicken pieces over and cook for another minute or until golden on both sides. Set chicken to the side on a separate platter.
- Add 1 T. oil to the skillet and heat on MED-HIGH. Cook onion for 1-2 minutes then add coleslaw mix and sprouts. Fry for 1 minute, stirring. Set veggies aside on a separate platter.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet over MED-HIGH heat and heat your noodles for a minute or so. There is no need to boil or cook these before adding them to the pan.
- Once the noodles are hot, add the chicken and veggies back to the pan, pour your sauce over and toss to coat. Cook and toss for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with green onions.