These adorable and easy snow globe cupcakes are delicious and so festive! Topped with plastic Christmas ornaments they are easy to make.
Watch our step by step video!
These snow globe cupcakes are so fun to make and easy, too! Most snow globe cupcakes involve making a sugar globe or gelatin-based globe. Not these ones. These are topped with a Christmas ornament, making them easy for anyone to make. I was inspired by a couple of reels that I saw on Facebook and knew I had to try making them too!
I made 24 cupcakes using a boxed cake mix and homemade vanilla buttercream. You can pipe the frosting or spread it onto the cupcakes, both ways work! I piped mine on then flattened the frosting by pressing each cupcake into the sprinkles. If you don’t want the crunch of sprinkles you can definitely leave them off and simply spread each cupcake with white frosting.
Snow Globe Cupcake Decorations
You can find many cute packages of icing decorations at Walmart and Target. Just make sure that the ones you use are 1 1/2″ tall or less. Anything taller will be too tall and your dome won’t fit. If you’d prefer to use your own decorations you can pipe buttercream trees or snowmen onto the cupcake.
Snow Globe Cupcake Ornament Toppers
There are several sizes of plastic ornaments. For regular cupcakes, you’ll want ones that are 60mm in size, and can find them on Amazon. They open in half so one ornament will cover 2 cupcakes. Your cupcakes might puff up more than mine, leaving an edge that isn’t covered by the dome. That’s TOTALLY FINE and they’ll still look adorable.
Snow Globe Cupcake Ingredients
Baked Cupcakes: store-bought or homemade. I used a boxed mix which made 24. If you don’t want to make 24 cupcakes, you can freeze half to save for another day!
Buttercream Frosting: you can find my recipe at the end of the post.
Icing Toppers: these are pre-made and dried icing decorations that come in a variety of designs. I used mini trees, reindeer, and presents.
How To Make Snow Globe Cupcakes
(watch my video for the best visual tutorial. It plays directly under the first image in the post)
Bake up a batch of cupcakes and let them cool completely.
(These are the cute polka dot cupcake liners that I used.)
Pipe or spread buttercream frosting onto the baked cupcakes. I used a round tip to pipe the buttercream onto mine.
Press each cupcake into sprinkles, if desired, to flatten the icing and give it a “snowy” look.
Arrange decorations onto them, pressing them into the frosting. Add mini marshmallows and snowflake sprinkles, if desired.
Cover each cupcake with half of a plastic ornament.
Easy Snow Globe Cupcakes
Easy Snow Globe Cupcakes (Using a Plastic Ornament)
- 12 60mm (2.36") plastic ornaments (that open in half)
- 1 box cake mix plus water, eggs and oil according to package
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. milk
- holiday candies under 1 1/2" tall
- TINY white nonpareils sprinkles
- mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees.Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Make cupcake batter according to the instructions on the box.
- Divide batter between cupcake liners and bake 16-18 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Beat frosting ingredients until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes then press into white nonpareils sprinkles.
- Press holiday candies into the cupcakes to decorate. Make sure the candy is less than 1 1/2" tall. Pre-made icing decorations work well.
- Open the plastic ornaments and wash them with warm water and soap. Dry.Top each cupcake with half of a plastic ornament.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!