You can substitute any berry in this blackberry pie recipe and adjust the sugar accordingly. This is a delicious and flaky summer pie made with sun-ripened blackberries. What berry would you use?
I HATE making pie crust. Even with this awesome recipe from Betty Crocker’s cookbook that rolls out really well, I find it nerve-wracking. But this is a good recipe and comes out flaky. I think it is because it uses butter, shortening, and oil.
TIP: if you don’t have buttermilk you can substitute milk + 1 tsp. lemon juice. Just pour the lemon juice into the milk and it will thicken slightly like buttermilk.
Tip: Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.
My girls like making little decorations out of the leftover crust. Hence, the butterfly 🙂
Ready to go in the oven! Bake for about 50 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes to an hour before serving. The filling will thicken as the pie cools.
Freezing Blackberry Pie
I like making two pies at once. If you’re going to make a mess in your kitchen might as well make it worth it! You can easily freeze an unbaked pie by wrapping it in plastic wrap then wrapping it in foil before placing it into the freezer. Pies can be frozen up to 4 months. DO NOT THAT before baking the frozen pie. Place unwrapped frozen pie on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then 350 for 60 minutes or until done.
Fresh Blackberry Pie Printable Recipe
Blackberry Pie Recipe With Buttermilk Crust
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cup blackberries fresh or frozen
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry cutter. Cut in butter. Add oil and milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Cut dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and set aside.
- Roll the other half and place into a pie pan.
- Mix ingredients for filling. Pour into pie crust.
- Roll out second pie crust and place on top.
- Cut off excess pie crust using a knife and crimp/pinch the edges.
- Add 3-4 slits for venting while the pie bakes.
- Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning. Sprinkle top of pie with sugar.
- Bake 45-55 minutes at 425 degrees or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours to allow blackberry filling to thicken.