This throw pillow cover tutorial takes about 15 minutes star to finish! Whip up several to transform outdated throw pillows. The envelope pillow cover makes them easy to take off to wash. No buttons, no zipper, and minimal sewing.
One of the easiest ways to change up your home decor is by changing up your pillows! Throw pillow covers are a snap to make. They come together in less than 15 minutes and can totally transform an out dated pillow. Make several in different colors to keep on hand for a quick room update! Since they slip over your existing pillow, they can easily be taken off to wash.
What is the best fabric to use for pillow covers?
Durability is key. I like using home decor fabrics for my pillow covers. This stripe fabric is from IKEA, but you can find other amazing prints at Joanns and even Walmart! Another idea is to use a table cloth. Check Home Goods or Marshalls for discount table cloths. The fabric is durable, washes up well, and you’ll have enough fabric to make a few pillow covers.Click here to see our holiday pillows, made out of a table cloth, using this same tutorial!
15 Minute Envelope Style Throw Pillow Cover Tutorial
15 Minute Throw Pillow Cover Tutorial
- sewing machine
- 1 pillow form
- Tape Measure
- Begin by measuring the width and length of your pillow. Add about a half inch to that measurement for seam allowances.
- Cut out a square using that measurement. That will be your pillow front.
- Lay your front piece aside.
- Cut another piece of fabric the same width as the front and add 4" to that for the height.THEN cut that piece in half. You will end up with 2 rectangles that are the width of your pillow and shorter in height.
- Fold over the center edges of your two back pieces 1/4". Press. Fold one more time and stitch the hem.
- Here they are laying on top of the front piece. Right sides together.
- With right sides facing, lay the two back pieces on top of the front piece, matching outer edges. The two back pieces will overlap.
- Pin and stitch all 4 side seams using a 3/8" seam allowance. Clip corners and turn right side out.
- Stuff your pillow form into the envelope and make another one for a matching set!
A refresh from a post originally shared in 2014.
Looking for more homemade pillow inspiration? Check out these ideas!
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!