One of our favorite bread recipes gets a makeover as bread bowls. Perfect for soup or chili and SO easy to make! This recipe makes 6 bread bowls.
Our bread bowls are delicious with our 30 minute clam chowder recipe!
Watch our step by step video!
Is there anything more comforting than a bread bowl filled with soup or chowder? I love bread bowls, and these homemade ones are so easy to make. If you like our Amish dinner roll recipe, you’ll LOVE these. The recipe is the same, we’ve just tweaked the process.
I filled our bowls with a delicious broccoli cheddar soup (a quick 30-minute recipe from Natasha’s Kitchen). Our turkey and sausage chili or 30-minute creamy potato soup are also fantastic served in bread bowls.
Bread Bowl Dough
One batch of dough will yield 6 bread bowls.
Once the dough has had a chance to rise for an hour, punch it down and divide into 6 balls of dough. Place the balls of dough onto a greased baking sheet and allow to rise an additional 40 minutes.
Baking Homemade Bread Bowls
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a shallow pan of water (a brownie pan works great) on the bottom rack while the oven preheats (leave it in while the bread bowls bake, too). The water creates steam during the baking process which creates a chewy bread.
Brush unbaked bread bowls with an egg wash and bake for 20 minutes. THEN brush again with the egg wash and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until GOLDEN brown. The egg wash gives the bread bowls a nice shiny, and golden crust.
Allow bread bowls to cool completely.
Slice the top off of each bowl with a serrated knife. Scoop out inside, and be sure to save the bread that you scoop our for dipping into soup.
Fill with your favorite soup!
Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe
Homemade Bread Bowls
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast 2 packets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 1/2 cups flour bread or all purpose
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp. water
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Mix oil into the yeast.
- In a large bowl mix flour and salt. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth (or use your bread hook/paddle on your kitchenmaid).
- Place in a well oiled large bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 6 portions. Shape each portion into a ball and place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover and allow dough to rise 40 minutes.
- Place a shallow pan (I use an 8x8 brownie pan) of water inside oven on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. The water creates steam while the bread bakes.
- Mix the egg white with 1 Tbsp. of water. Brush dough balls with egg wash.
- Bake bread bowls for 20 minutes. Brush with egg mixture again, then bake another 15 minutes.
- Let bread cool. Slice top off of roll and scoop inside bread out. Save bread for dipping in soup.
- Fill with chili, chowder or soup.