If you aren’t into sewing, no worries! Here are two fun “no sew” kitchen crafts by my friends, Christie and Jillian! But if you’d like to try out our simple kids apron sewing tutorial, keep reading!
Little Baker’s Kids Apron Sewing Tutorial
(pattern pieces: two apron pieces, front and back, 2 pocket pieces, 1 neck band, 2 waist ties)
I don’t know how to use pattern programs so I made a quick diagram with measurements to make this apron in two sizes.
You can download the diagram. Feel free to add inches to the length if needed for the larger pattern. It just depends if you want it to hit above/below the knee. For a boy apron, just cut out as shown. For a girl apron with a scalloped bottom, cut out following the dashed lines on the diagram.
Time: 1 hour
Skill level: Beginner
PDF pattern diagram: click below to download
fabric for outer (I always just buy a yard)
fabric for lining
1. Sew your two pocket pieces together (right sides facing), leaving a few inches on the top to turn right side out.
2. Clip curves and turn right side out. Tuck ends in where you turned it right side out and pin. Top stitch the top of the pocket piece, catching the tucked ends into the seam.
3. Center the pocket onto the apron front and pin into place. Stitch pocket onto the apron by sewing around the sides and bottom.
4.Fold waist ties in half and sew the side seam. Use a safety pin to turn the strap right side out. Press.
5.Fold one of the ends inside about 1/2″ and pin.
Make the same way as the waist ties, but leave ends open. Top stitch all the way around.
7. Pin neck strap to apron front about 1/2″ away from edges.
8. Pin the raw edge of each waist tie to apron front just below the arm opening.
9. Place apron lining on top of the front apron piece, right sides together, sandwiching the neck strap and waist ties in between. Pin all the way around, leaving a 4″ gap on the side of the apron for turning right side out.
11. Fold over opening and pin. Top stitch around the entire apron.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!