Homemade lime ice cream is the perfect blend of sweet and tangy. If you like key lime pie, you’ll love this recipe. Don’t skimp on the graham cracker topping—it’s perfection! This post contains affiliate links.
Watch our step by step video!
This ice cream recipe is to die for. Perfectly tart with a crunchy sweetness from the graham cracker topping. I’m typically a chocolate ice cream kind of girl, but this key lime pie ice cream one of my favorites!
We started experimenting with lime ice cream recipes after Ruby set a goal to learn how to make ice cream. This was one of the flavors that she requested, and after a couple of tries we came up with a version that received two thumbs up from everyone in the family.
This ice cream isn’t made from key limes (although you could totally use them), but still has the tangy flavors and crunchy crust that you’d expect from a key lime pie.
Lime Ice Cream Recipe
How To Make Key Lime Pie Ice Cream With A Graham Cracker Crust Topping
We received an older version of this ice cream maker as a wedding gift 19 years ago and it still works like a charm. It’s one of those things we wouldn’t have purchased as newlyweds, but were so glad to have. It’s been so fun making our own ice cream throughout the years. I highly recommend investing in one—you’ll love it!
(scroll down for printable recipe)
- lime juice (fresh)
- lime zest
- heavy whipping cream
- food coloring (optional)
- graham crackers
Step 1: combine water and sugar in pan and heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
Step 2: pour mixture in a bowl and add lime juice and lime zest. Stir.
Step 3: refrigerator mixture until completely cooled.
Step 4: add heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Stir.
Step 5: pour mixture into ice cream maker. Process as directed in manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 6: while ice cream freezes, make the crumb topping. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter together. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until slightly toasted.
Step 7: when ice cream is the consistency of frozen yogurt, remove and spoon into a loaf pan or glass dish.
Step 8: Smooth out top then sprinkle with graham cracker topping.
Step 9: place ice cream into the freezer and freeze for 3 hours for best results.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Printable Recipe
Lime Ice Cream (Key Lime Pie Ice Cream)
- ice cream maker
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice 10-12 limes, depending on size
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-5 drops food coloring optional
- 3-4 graham crackers (about 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- Combine water and sugar in small saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture looks clear.
- Add lime juice and lime zest. Chill until mixture has completely cooled down.
- Add heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Stir.
- Pour ice cream mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. (Mine takes about 20 minutes to become soft serve consistency).
- While ice cream is in the ice cream maker, make crumb topping. To do that, crush graham crackers and mix with sugar and melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes or slightly toasted.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer container or loaf pan.
- Sprinkle graham cracker topping over top of ice cream.
- Freeze ice cream for 3 hours.