Classic chocolate chip cookies that are soft, stackable and stay fresh for several days! This is our favorite recipe and super versatile. Add in your favorite mix-ins like a variety of chocolate chips, nuts, raisins or M&Ms!
If you like these you’ll love our deep dish chocolate chip cookie recipe! Giant chocolate chip cookies served warm with a fork!
Watch our step by step video!
We recently had friends stay with us for the weekend. As they arrived I was finishing up making a giant batch of our favorite chocolate chip cookies. I doubled the recipe and had the BIGGEST bowl of cookie dough known to man sitting on the counter. We questioned if we’d actually go through all of them before they went stale. Let me tell you, it wasn’t a problem.
Those cookies were enjoyed for 2 days and all 7 dozen were gobbled up. We brought them in a big container with us to the beach, I kept them in the car for outings, and served them for dessert each night. If the kids wanted a snack they knew where to go—my cookie jar.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
The ingredients are simple, no chilling required. I mix them with my stand mixer (with the paddle attachment), but an electric mixer or dough whisk works great too.
All purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda, KOSHER salt (makes a difference!), butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, vanilla (a whole tablespoon), milk chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips.
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies to Store In a Cookie Jar
These chocolate chip cookies are soft, but do not break in half when stacked. They are the perfect cookie to store in a cookie jar. What I really love about them is that they STAY FRESH and taste amazing for a few days. Some cookies become crumbly on day 2 and start to break in the cookie jar. Not these. These are just as soft on day 2 and 3.
I make them with a combination of milk chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips for the perfect balance of sweetness and flavor. Use whatever ratio you’d like! We’ve made them with white chocolate chips and chocolate chunks—another winning combination.
Cook Until Golden
Some cookies are best when undercooked slightly and allowed time to sit in the baking sheet to firm up. Our cookie jar chocolate chip cookies can bake in the oven until golden, and are still soft. We prefer cooking them until they start to brown (12-14 minutes). This makes for a soft, chewy and milk dunkable cookie.
More Cookie Jar Favorite Cookies
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, if desired.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together until very fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop cookie dough balls on cookie sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 12-14 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool 2-3 minutes on cookie sheet and transfer to wire racks. Cool COMPLETELY before placing in cookie jar or container.
Looking for tips on freezing cookies? Make a giant batch and save half for another day! Here are our best tips for freezing cookies and cookie dough.