The easiest copycat Hostess cupcakes recipe! Cake mix, marshmallow cream filling and dipped in chocolate ganache. These are the real deal! Our FAVORITE cupcakes! This post contains affiliate links.
Watch our step by step video!
What is about Hostess cupcakes the makes them so delicious? I love the delicious marshmallowy filling and ganache coating. They’ve been at the top of my list of copycat recipes to conquer and my kids were thrilled to come along for the ride.
The EASIEST Hostess Cupcakes To Make
This Hostess cupcakes recipe IS THE REAL DEAL. Made with cake mix, marshmallow creme and a super easy chocolate ganache icing. They are always a crowd please because EVERYONE recognizes the signature curly cues!
I blended my favorite marshmallow frosting recipe from Lil Luna, my EASY chocolate glaze from my biscuit donut recipe, the basic royal icing recipe from my Pop Tart Gingerbread houses, and the simplicity of a cake mix to create these iconic treats.
What makes these the easiest Hostess cupcakes to make?
- Boxed cake mix: Unless you have a diet restriction and need to substitute out the basic ingredients, just use a cake mix. It’s my biggest tip for making cakes at home. I took a cake decorating class years ago and my instructor let us in on her secret. She used cake mixes for most of the cakes that she made in her bakery. I’ve been doing this ever since and my cakes always turnout great!
- 3 second filling technique: my technique for filling cupcakes literally takes 3 seconds per cupcake. So easy! Use a piping bag and tip! I like using a #21 star tip, available at most craft stores.
- Simple ganache made from chocolate chips: No need to use fancy chocolate. Chocolate chips work just fine! For the recipe I highly suggest using semi-sweet.
Hostess Cupcakes Ingredients
You’ll need the following to make a batch of our favorite cupcakes:
- boxed cake mix (dark chocolate)
- marshmallow creme (the entire jar)
- powdered sugar
- chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
Make sure to watch my video to see how easy it is to fill the cupcakes with the marshmallow frosting.
Cake mixes always claim that each box makes 24 cupcakes. I don’t buy it. You can expect to get 20-22 cupcakes from this recipe. They are delicious served at room temperature. Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Copycat Hostess Cupcakes Recipe
The Easiest Hostess Cupcake Recipe
- 2 pastry (frosting) bags
- #21 frosting tip
- #5 frosting tip
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
Marshmallow Creme Filling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 oz. marshmallow creme 1 tub
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan(s) with 20 cupcake liners.
- Mix cake mix, oil, eggs and water on low for 30 seconds.Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter amongst cupcake liners. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together until whipped and creamy. Stir in marshmallow creme by hand.
- Fill a pastry bag with icing and a star tip (#21).
- How to fill a cupcake with marshmallow creme: Insert frosting tip into the center of the cupcake and press/squeeze for 3 seconds or until the cupcake puffs up slightly.
- Place chocolate chips, butter, honey and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat an additional 10 seconds if necessary. Stir.
- Dip the top of each cupcake in chocolate ganache. Allow excess to drip off. If ganache cools and begins to thicken, simply reheat for 10 seconds and stir.
- Allow ganache to set up for 15 minutes before adding decorating icing.
Decorating Icing (Royal Icing)
- Mix powdered sugar and water together. Start with 3 teaspoons of water and add more, 1/2 teaspoon at a time until desired consisteny is achieved. 5 tespoons works well for me.Fill a pastry bag with icing and a round tip (#5) or simply cut the corner off of the bag to create a small hole for piping the icing.
- Decorate the tops of the cupcakes by piping on swirls all the way across.
- This recipe makes 20-22 cupcakes.