Have the kids make dessert for Easter dinner this year! A quick and easy Easter bunny cake that is fun to decorate for an Easter dessert or a spring birthday. This post contains affiliate links.
Easter Bunny Cake
Did any of you have a bunny birthday cake growing up? This photo is of me on my 1st birthday. My mom and I share a birthday so there were usually two cakes every year. This was a photo from our double birthday party in 1983. I also remember a similar cake for my 6th birthday in the shape of a teddy bear. I love simple cakes like this that use basic cake pans, a single cake layer, and frosting. No tips, fondant, or excessive time involved.
How To Make an Easy Rabbit Cake
I thought my girls would have fun making their own Easter bunny cake to decorate so I got out my mini round cake pans and made 4 small round cakes, enough for 2 mini bunny cakes! You can also use 2 8″ round pans to make a larger cake.
You can also use 2 8″ round pans to make a cake. I used a cake mix and the listed ingredients (oil, eggs, and water) to make the cakes.
Bake cakes then remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Cool cake completely then cut each cake according to the diagram below using a serrated knife.
Cake Assembly Instructions
- Assembly is pretty straightforward. Place cut cake pieces on a platter or cutting board covered in foil.
- Spread buttercream frosting, with a spatula or butter knife, along the bottom of the bunny face cake to attach the bow tie.
- Spread frosting on the bottom of each ear to attach the ears to the bunny’s head.
- Cover the entire cake in the frosting.
And now for the fun part, decorating it!
We pulled out all of our Christmas and Valentine’s day candies and they had fun snacking and decorating their cakes.
- Shredded coconut flakes to look like bunny fur.
- Light pink frosting for the pinks inside of the ears instead of candy.
- Licorice for whiskers.
- Use jelly beans for the eyes, large candy eyes, or pipe on the frosting.
- We made a white vanilla cake, but a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting would be so fun for Easter.
- You can also tint a cup of coconut with green food coloring to look like Easter grass and sprinkle it wound the edge of the cake.
In the end, the kitchen was a mess, sprinkles covered the floor, fingers were sticky, and they each had a cute Easter cake to share with dinner. These cakes can be covered with a layer of plastic wrap and stored at room temperature.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!