This post was most recently updated on May 13th, 2023
This corn dog bites recipe is the real deal. Hot dogs are sliced and dipped into cornbread batter then fried to perfection. Dip in your favorite sauces—this corn dog recipe will become a favorite!
Watch our step by step video!
Mini corn dogs are a family favorite and fun to make every now and then for my kids! We’ve updated the recipe with a video to take you step by step through the process.
Corn Dog Recipe Ingredients
- cornbread batter: you can use whatever recipe you’d like and add a bit of extra milk to thin it down. My recipe is the same one that I use to make cornbread and cornbread muffins. It is spot on to what you are looking for in a breading for corn dogs.
- hot dogs: nothing fancy, the cheap ones are just fine.
- oil: canola or vegetable oil. You’ll need about a quart of oil. You can strain the oil afterwards and save it to use another time.
How To Fry Corn Dog Bites
- Once you’ve made the batter, dry each hot dog with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and slice each hot dog into 3 pieces.
- Slide a toothpick in the end of each piece. (If making regular sized corn dogs, use a wooden skewer.)
- Tip: pour your batter into a tall drinking glass. This makes dipping SUPER EASY.
- Dip the hot dog piece into your batter and let any excess batter drip off. Fry immediately.
NOTE: This recipe makes 24 corn dog bites, and you will have extra batter. You don’t want to use up all of the batter for the corn dogs because you’ll get to a point where there isn’t enough to easily dip them. You can scoop the extra batter using a cookie scoop into the oil to make hush puppies or you can cut up an extra hot dog to make a few extra bites.
What temperature should the oil be for frying mini corn dogs?
How long do you fry the Homemade corn dogs?
- Fry in batches of 4-6 bites for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place mini corn dogs onto a platter with a layer of paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Dip in ketchup, mustard or honey mustard.
Can you make corn dogs ahead of time?
Baked Corn Dog Bites
Corn Dog Bites Recipe
Homemade Corn Dog Bites Recipe
Corn Bread Batter
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk
Hot Dogs and Oil
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 quart oil vegetable or canola
- Mix batter ingredients together until smooth.
- Cut 8 hot dogs into 3 pieces each and insert a toothpick into the bottom of each piece. Pat the hot dogs dry with a paper towel if they are wet so that the batter sticks to them.
- Dip each hot dog piece into the batter then carefully drop into oil that has been heated to 350 degrees.
- Leave the toothpicks in the corn dog bites while frying. Fry 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove corn dog bites from oil and place on a platter lined with paper towels.Remove toothpicks.
Frazzled Mom of Five says
Yummy! I could eat them all myself!!
Thanks for sharing with us!
~Jen @ hutchinsonherd.blogspot.com
This recipe worked great, I added extra milk too thick. I also used regular sized hotdogs and cut them in half. My granddaughter loved them. And with the remaining batter I made hoe cakes.
Handmade by Hilani says
Mrs. T says
I never thought to make my own corn dogs! I think we may try this! YUM!
They look delicious!I am going to give it a try! 😀
My son (now in college) loves corn dogs. I have never actually made a corn dog from scratch, but these look terrific. Maybe I’ll make some for him when he’s home next.
I am SO doing this!!! We love corn dogs around here, but the decent ones are pretty pricey! I’m excited to try them homemade!
[email protected] says
Oh my gosh, I love these but never eat them because I don’t like buying the frozen pre-made kind. These look so good, can’t wait to try them.
Sarah and James Wagner says
Have you ever tried to freeze these?
Julie Snow says
Wow those look awesome! I have tried invening recipes like this before and failed epically but you have inspired me to use YOUR recip – it looks so delicious. Thank you I enjoy your blog a lot!
These look sooo yummy! Thanks
How did you know I love mini corndogs? 😉 They look so yummy.
Designed by Dawn Nicole says
Pinned these to make soon! My kids love these and I hate buying the store ones since they have to many weird ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more says
oh they are so cute too! Sounds yummy.
Tamika Rybinski says
I can’t wait to try these. We live in Austria and this is something my kids only get when we visit my family. Thanks for sharing!
Jen S. says
i just LOVE corndogs!
Thanks for the post, I’ll have to try this ASAP!
Found you via Made by you Monday
Totally gonna make these!!
I LOVE corndogs! My husband laughs at me cause I love them so much! Please come by and link up at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/01/five-minute-fudge-and-rhw-recipe-round.html
What a gorgeous photo that is my first comment I adore good food art. So classy even though they are corn dogs lol. This is a must try I have a feeling though once I make them the natives will want them all the time. Thank you so much!
Ooohhh these look delish! (And very cute too!) My husband LOVES corn dogs and I know he would love these! I’m saving the recipe for our next party! Thanks for posting!
I love mini corndogs. I am looking forward to trying this recipe also.
Megan @ PolishTheStars.com says
Those look delicious! I am going to have to try them the next time we go tailgating. 🙂
Erin Alldredge says
I love corn dog nuggets. They remind me of a when I was a kid and would buy them at the food court at the mall. I’d love it if you stopped by my link party to share these. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/09/1-month-of-fun-september-link-party.html
When i make corn dogs I will use jalapeno cheese wienners or sausages for the adults and they go really well!
A. Walters says
What’s the unit of measure for the butter? Stick? Cup?
How did I not catch that? Thanks for pointing it out. It should say 1/4 CUP.
hello, i used a reciepe thats you had for the soft pretzel bite but i can no longer find it could you please send it to my email??
Hi Kim, I am having redirect issues with my new wordpress blog (SO FRUSTRATING). Here is the link that should take you to the pretzel bites. Have a great night!
Hi Brandy! I just wanted to let you know that these corn dogs look so amazing that I included them in a roundup post about the best Game Day Food ideas. Thank you for letting me share your recipe with my readers! If interested, you can find the post here: https://madeinapinch.com/game-day-food/
Over the years I have tried several different recipes for corn dogs. I am so gald I found yours, hands down the best. The only thing I did different was use a little less sugar as called for. Perfect!
Yay! I’m so glad they worked out for you!