This corn dog bites recipe is the real deal. Hot dogs are sliced and dipped into cornbread batter then fried to perfection. Dip in your favorite sauces—this corn dog recipe will become a favorite!
Watch our step by step video!
Mini corn dogs are a family favorite and fun to make every now and then for my kids! We’ve updated the recipe with a video to take you step by step through the process.
Corn Dog Recipe Ingredients
- cornbread batter: you can use whatever recipe you’d like and add a bit of extra milk to thin it down. My recipe is the same one that I use to make cornbread and cornbread muffins. It is spot on to what you are looking for in a breading for corn dogs.
- hot dogs: nothing fancy, the cheap ones are just fine.
- oil: canola or vegetable oil. You’ll need about a quart of oil. You can strain the oil afterwards and save it to use another time.
How To Fry Corn Dog Bites
- Once you’ve made the batter, dry each hot dog with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and slice each hot dog into 3 pieces.
- Slide a toothpick in the end of each piece. (If making regular sized corn dogs, use a wooden skewer.)
- Tip: pour your batter into a tall drinking glass. This makes dipping SUPER EASY.
- Dip the hot dog piece into your batter and let any excess batter drip off. Fry immediately.
NOTE: This recipe makes 24 corn dog bites, and you will have extra batter. You don’t want to use up all of the batter for the corn dogs because you’ll get to a point where there isn’t enough to easily dip them. You can scoop the extra batter using a cookie scoop into the oil to make hush puppies or you can cut up an extra hot dog to make a few extra bites.
What temperature should the oil be for frying mini corn dogs?
How long do you fry the Homemade corn dogs?
- Fry in batches of 4-6 bites for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place mini corn dogs onto a platter with a layer of paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Dip in ketchup, mustard or honey mustard.
Can you make corn dogs ahead of time?
Baked Corn Dog Bites
Corn Dog Bites Recipe
Homemade Corn Dog Bites Recipe
Corn Bread Batter
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk
Hot Dogs and Oil
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 quart oil vegetable or canola
- Mix batter ingredients together until smooth.
- Cut 8 hot dogs into 3 pieces each and insert a toothpick into the bottom of each piece. Pat the hot dogs dry with a paper towel if they are wet so that the batter sticks to them.
- Dip each hot dog piece into the batter then carefully drop into oil that has been heated to 350 degrees.
- Leave the toothpicks in the corn dog bites while frying. Fry 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove corn dog bites from oil and place on a platter lined with paper towels.Remove toothpicks.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!