Make your own fortune cookies at home. The best part is that you can customize the fortunes inside. Bonus: homemade fortune cookies taste better than store bought cookies! This post contains affiliate links.
Make a batch of our fortune cookies and serve with one of our homemade Chinese food recipes! We have recipes for chicken chow mein, egg rolls and more!
We first started making our own fortune cookies in 2010. I made about a dozen batches that year and gave them as gifts to the kids’ teachers, and we (of course) enjoyed a few batches for ourselves. We also made ice cream bowls out of the fortune cookie batter and they were SO good! The kids gobbled them right up. I love almond extract which is why I think I love this recipe so much. It has the perfect amount. These cookies are crispy, sweet, and have a wonderfully light texture.
Tips for Baking Fortune Cookies
- You can use baking sheets lined in silpat, parchment paper or non stick baking sheets. We’ve found the easiest method is to LIGHTLY spray non stick cooking spray onto a baking sheet. Don’t use too much spray or your cookies will lose their shape, but a light coating helps them come right off.
- Only bake 2-3 cookies at a time. You have to work while the cookies are hot, and they cool down pretty quickly. So only bake 2-3 cookies at a time. While you are forming them into shapes you can have another sheet of cookies baking in the oven.
- Check the cookies at 5 minutes. If the edges are golden, they are just about done. You can see the color you are looking for in my photos. Darker on the edges, lighter inside. If your cookies are too dark they will crumble instead of bending into the correct shape.
- Check out our video to help you learn how to fold a fortune cookie. It’s pretty simple!
We’ve made these about a dozen times over the years and they are always a hit. My favorite is when the kids write their own fortunes inside and give them as Valentine’s Day gifts to their teachers. Their cute handwriting really sets them apart. If you’d like to take these up a notch, try dipping them in white chocolate!
Homemade Fortune Cookies
Homemade Fortune Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Set oven to 400F degrees.
- Beat egg whites until frothy peaks form.
- Add flour, sugar, and almond extract.
- Whisk until completely incorporated.
- Stir in water.
- LIGHTLY spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- Pour a small amount (1T.) onto baking sheet. Spread into a 4" or 5" circle.
- Make 2 -3 circles per baking sheet. Baking in small batches helps ensure that you can shape the cookies before they harden and cool.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until edges start to brown.
- Working fast, quickly remove one cookie from the baking sheet and place a paper fortune across the center. Bring two sides of the cookie together (to form a semi circle) then bend the cookie (on the fold) over the edge of a cup to create the fortune cookie shape.
- I like using a small ramekin to form the cookie, then I place the cookie inside the ramekin while it cools.
- Repeat for remaining cookies.