This melt in your mouth Texas sheet cake has been a family favorite dessert for years and years. It’s easy to make and serves a crowd. Spread the homemade frosting over the warm cake, and sprinkle with pecans or walnuts. Perfection! This post contains affiliate links.
Watch our step by step video!
My go-to recipe is Texas sheet cake. This cake is SO easy to make, uses basic ingredients, and absolutely melts in your mouth. I make this when company comes over because it comes together so quickly! Traditional Texas sheet cake is made with pecans, but we’re walnut fans over here. Especially Ruby. They are her favorite nut to snack on so I usually have a bag on hand.
The ingredients are basic:
Cake: Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. You’ll also need butter, vinegar, eggs, milk, water and vanilla. You probably have most of these ingredients on hand.
Frosting: Butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla, and chopped nuts.
If you’re wondering about the whisk used in my video, it’s a Danish dough whisk and I use it for so many recipes! I rarely pull out my kitchen mixer for bread or batters.
Texas sheet cake is made in a sheet pan. You can use a 9×13 pan, but would need to adjust the baking time to 35-40 minutes. If made in a 12″ x 17″ sheet pan, this cake will bake up in 25 minutes (preferred method).
As soon as the cake comes out of the oven chocolate frosting is spread across, and nuts are sprinkled over the cake. The frosting melts and gives the cake a smooth finish.
3 More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love!
One cake will easily serve 15 people. It’s rich, but not as rich as our peanut butter version, so I cut the slices a little more generously.
Melt In Your Mouth Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
Melt In Your Mouth Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa (cocoa powder)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat butter, water, and cocoa powder in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir as butter melts. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the butter/chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir.
- Mix eggs, milk, vinegar, baking soda and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add to the large bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 12" x 17" baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl. Add baking cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat on high until fluffy.
- Spread over hot cake. Sprinkle with nuts.