Our snowman hot chocolate bombs are so fun for kids! Watch the snowman melt and disappear as you pour hot milk over it. Give it a stir and you’ll have a deliciously rich and creamy cup of hot chocolate! If you like these you’ll LOVE our original hot chocolate bombs! This post contains affiliate links.
Note: Amazon is having a hard time keeping up with the chocolate molds! I used these ones, but these ones are great if you want to make multiple sizes. Keep checking as they restock!
Watch our step by step video!
If you’ve been here for a minute, you already know about my love for hot chocolate…especially hot chocolate bombs. We’re just a little bit obsessed with them this year. This snowman version is just plain fun. And, believe it or not, easier to make than the other hot chocolate bombs. Why? Because white chocolate doesn’t melt as quickly as chocolate when you handle it. Fewer fingerprints, and less worrying about the molded chocolate cups getting soft when you are holding them. Who knew?
What are hot chocolate bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are molded cups of white or regular chocolate filled with hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows. Then you melt the rim of one cup and place it on top of the other to create the perfect ball of chocolatey goodness.
When you place one in a cup and pour hot milk over it, it melts and mini marshmallows magically appear!
The punch of flavor from the melted white chocolate takes any dry hot chocolate mix to the next level. I like using Starbucks hot chocolate mix, but any kind will work.
Snowman Hot Chocolate Bomb Ingredients
Hot chocolate mix, white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, sprinkles and mini marshmallows.
Note: we’ve used regular Jet Puff mini marshmallows and mini freeze dried marshmallows and definitely prefer the freeze dried ones. You can get a big 1 pound bag on Amazon and you’re family will thank you. So great for hot cocoa bars in the winter.
How To Make Snowman White Hot Chocolate Bombs
This will create 6 white chocolate cups that, when fit together, will create 3 hot chocolate bombs.
Our chocolate bombs are about 2.5″ in diameter and work great in a wide mug. Mine are from Target.
These would make great gifts during the holidays! Packaged in a cellophane bag or and placed inside a mug.
Fun Add-Ins and Variations for Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Use white hot chocolate mix.
- Add crushed peppermint candies.
- Add snowflake sprinkles.
- Add mint marshmallows.
How Much Milk To Pour Over Hot Chocolate Bombs
We tried these with 1 cup of hot milk and 1 1/2 cups of hot milk and both were delicious, but I think I prefer 1 1/2 cups of milk. It’s not quite as rich. You can use whatever milk you’d like. We used skim.
Best Way To Store Snowman Hot Chocolate Bombs
Ideally, these hot chocolate bombs would be stored in a cool, dry place like a pantry, individually packaged, or in an airtight container. They can be store in the refrigerator or freezer for a little while, but I would worry about two situations with that:
1. The refrigerator may introduce moisture to the hot chocolate mix.
2. The freezer may cause condensation to form on the hot chocolate bombs as they thaw to room temperature. If you need to freeze them, I’d thaw them in the refrigerator instead of placing them on the counter to thaw.
I’ve only stored them on the counter, away from the stove or a window and they’ve been fine.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Melt a little extra white chocolate and make a few extra chocolate cups your first time making hot chocolate bombs. That way, if you have a couple that don’t turn out, you’ll have extras to replace them with. Consider your first time a practice run.
- DO NOT overheat the white chocolate chips. White chocolate chips can be melted in a double boiler in the microwave.
- The key to success is making sure the chocolate has time to really set up in the refrigerator. If the chocolate is soft (AT ALL) it will stretch and break.
- Use any extra melted white chocolate to fill in weak spots. Before taking the chocolate cups out of the mold, examine them carefully to see if there are any thin areas that could use a little more chocolate. Add more chocolate, refrigerate a bit longer, and continue on your way.
- Like any other chocolate project, if you handle the chocolate too much the heat from your hands will cause it to soften. If you find this to be the case while you are smoothing out edges and seams in the chocolate molds, just place the molds back in the refrigerator for 5 minutes or so.
- You can use a hot spoon to smooth out the center seam. If your seam doesn’t match up perfectly, you can pipe a little extra white chocolate along the seam to close in any gaps. Refrigerate to allow the seam to harden, then run a hot spoon around the seam to smooth it out a bit.
- Snowman hot chocolate bombs should be stored in an airtight container or in a cellophane gift bag. Storing them in a pantry or on a counter is fine as long as they are not near a heat source or window.
- Have fun and remember—-even if they don’t look perfect they will certainly taste perfect!
More Hot Chocolate Recipes To Try!
Snowman White Hot Chocolate Bombs
Snowman Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Melt white chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave in 15-second intervals until white chocolate is melted and smooth.DO NOT overheat the white chocolate.
- Add a spoonful of white chocolate into 6 chocolate mold cavities. Smooth chocolate up the sides of each mold with a spoon. Add more white chocolate as necessary to coat the inside of each mold.Let the white chocolate sit for a few minutes in the mold. Check to see if there are any areas that need to be covered again, then smooth out the sides with a spoon. This will help ensure that the sides and center of the mold are evenly coated with white chocolate.There will be a little extra white chocolate leftover in the bowl. Save this to use in a later step.
- Refrigerate white chocolate for at least 30 minutes or until completely set. Gently remove from the mold.
- Fill 3 halves with 1 tablespoon of cocoa mix and 1 tablespoon of mini marshmallows.
- Melt chocolate chips and place in a plastic baggie. Cut a tiny slit in the corner. Remember the leftover spoonful of melted white chocolate chips? It might have hardened by this point and that's ok. Melt it in the microwave for about 10 seconds and spoon it into a plastic baggie. Cut a tiny slit in the corner of the bag.
- Use the melted white chocolate to attach two black ball sprinkles for the eyes and an orange sprinkle for the nose to the 3 other white chocolate cups (the ones without hot chocolate mix).Use the melted chocolate chips to pipe on a mouth.Refrigerate until hardened.
- You will need a hot bowl or plate. Press one of the empty white chocolate cups against the hot plate to slightly melt the rim.
- Place the empty white chocolate cup over one of the filled ones.
- Run a hot spoon along the seam where the two chocolate cups meet to slightly melt the chocolate and seal the seam.
- To make a cup of snowman hot chocolate, place one hot chocolate bomb in a mug. Pour 1 1/2 cups of hot milk over bomb. Stir.