This post was most recently updated on May 13th, 2023
The softest funfetti sugar cookies. Buttery, soft, and loaded with colorful sprinkles! Funfetti sugar cookies are always a hit! If you like drop sugar cookies this will quickly become your new go-to recipe!
You might also like our cupcakes in a jar, our loaded sprinkles cookies, or our cosmic brownies!
Watch our step by step video!
Funfetti Sugar Cookies
Our funfetti cookies are as delicious as they are colorful. My kids love anything with sprinkles and will choose a cookie loaded with colorful jimmies over a chocolate chip cookie any day of the week. I’m all about chocolate, but sugar cookies are a close second. Especially these buttery drop sugar cookies (no cookie cutters required!).
The Softest Drop Sugar Cookies
Everyone raves about Lofthouse sugar cookies, but I like the texture of these buttery drop sugar cookies better. These are an adaptation of my soft sugar cookies with marshmallow frosting recipe which uses both granulated sugar and powdered sugar and both butter and oil. The bottoms have the slightest crunch and the edges and centers are soft and buttery. One batch makes 40 cookies so these are perfect to share with friends!
Best Sprinkles for Cookies
Let’s talk about sprinkles for a minute. My favorite sprinkles to bake with are jimmies.
Jimmies are larger than nonpareils and bake up beautifully with minimal bleeding of color into the dough. Nonpareils are tiny little balls of color and are one of my go-to sprinkles for decorating cookies AFTER they are baked and frosted. If you try to bake with them they bleed and completely change the look of your cookie. You can use whatever you’d like, but if you want your cookies to look like mine, stick with jimmies. This is the container that I always purchase.
Funfetti Cookies Ingredients
Butter: always butter. I bake with salted butter, but you can use unsalted butter if you prefer.
White sugar + powdered sugar: both are used in this recipe for the perfect texture and tender consistency.
Eggs: eggs provide structure for baked goods.
Oil: you’re probably thinking, “Why use oil if we are already using butter?” The addition of oil is what makes these cookies melt-in-your-mouth soft. I used canola oil, but you can use your favorite oil for baking. Most recipes call for 1 cup of butter. This recipe calls for 3/4 cup of butter and 1/2 cup of oil so it’s really only an additional 1/4 cup of fat, and remember, this recipe makes 40-44 cookies.
Vanilla extract and almond extract: both provide subtle hints of flavor throughout the cookie dough.
Baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar: Used for leavening and flavor.
All-purpose flour: whatever type and brand you prefer.
Sprinkles: remember to use Jimmies! And go ahead and use a full cup of sprinkles. .
How To Make the Best Funfetti Cookies
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar and beat until creamed and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add extracts and oil.
In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients together.
Stir in sprinkles.
Scoop dough using a 2 Tbsp. sized scoop (or roll into walnut-sized balls) and place on ungreased baking sheets (these are the only ones that I use—they bake up the best!)
Bake cookies for 12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack.
How To Store Sprinkle Cookies
Cookies should be stored in an airtight container and will last 3-4 days. You can also freeze them in freezer bags for a couple of months.
Tips for Making Sugar Cookies
- Use room temperature ingredients. Butter can be slightly chilled, but should be soft when your thumb is pressed into it.
- Use an electric mixer. A stand mixer or electric hand mixer works great. You can make cookies by hand, but an electric mixer is best for creaming the butter and sugar together.
- Bake on light cookie sheets. All of my recipes are aimed at baking with light metal cookie sheets. That’s all I bake with. If you use dark sheets you’ll need to keep an eye on the cookies and adjust the baking times, if necessary.
The Softest Funfetti Cookies Recipe
The Softest Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat butter until nice and fluffy, continue to beat (lowering speed) and add in sugars.
- Stop mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, followed by vanilla and almond extract, then oil. Add baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly. Stir in sprinkles by hand with a wooden spoon or Danish dough whisk.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls (or drop onto baking sheets using a cookie scoop 2-Tbsp.) and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 12 minutes.
- Cool cookies 3-5 minutes on the pan then transfer to a rack. Store in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply