An April Showers diaper cake for a springtime baby shower. Complete with diapers, shoes, and receiving blankets.
Have you been following along in our baby shower event? It’s been a lot of fun making these little elements for my “April Showers Bring May Flowers” theme. Today I’m sharing how to make a diaper cake. If you haven’t ever attempted one because you thought they were time-consuming or difficult, you have been mistaken! Let me show you how simple making one can truly be.
Diaper cakes are fun because you can customize them for ANY baby shower theme and then send it home with the momma to be. Add some toys and/or baby care products for a cute and functional gift.
April Showers Diaper Cake Tutorial
55 diapers (size 2 are perfect)
14″ circle of cardboard
1 paper towel roll
1. Begin by rolling each diaper and securing with a rubber band. Make sure your rubber band is toward the top 1/3 of the diaper because you will be pulling it off later on.
2. Keep rolling until you have a nice big stack of diapers.
3. Secure your paper towel roll to your cardboard base with hot glue.
4. Prop up 6 diapers around the paper towel roll.
5. Wrap tightly with string, tie a knot, and trim excess. Remove rubber bands.
6. Add 12 diapers around the original 6, wrap tightly with string, tie a knot, trim excess, and remove rubber bands.
7. Add 13 diapers to create the 3rd row, and repeat the steps above. You have now created your first layer!
8. For your second layer, begin with 6 diapers. Wrap, tie, trim, remove rubber bands.
9. Add 12 diapers around the first 6. Wrap, tie, trim, remove rubber bands. Your second layer is finished!
10. For the 3rd layer, add 6 diapers. Wrap, tie, trim, remove rubber bands. Your third layer is finished!
11. Now for the fun part! Wrap with ribbon or fabric strips and secure in the back with straight pins. I used strips of flannel, but receiving blankets would be darling and functional as well. Finish off your layers with some nice thick grosgrain ribbon.
Add a cake topper (baby booties, stuffed animal, etc.) and any other embellishments. I added a clear bubble umbrella and tucked it in between the diapers. It held up perfectly and was nice and stable.
How many diapers are needed for a diaper cake?
At least 55. Depending on how many come in the package and the size of diapers that you use. This diaper cake used 55 size 2 diapers. The smaller the diaper, the more diapers you will need for the diaper cake.
What other items can I include in a diaper cake?
Anything a new mom might need! Tuck in small bottles of soap and shampoo, baby powder, diaper cream, or small baby toys.
What other kinds of diaper cakes can be made for a baby shower?
All kinds! I’ve even seen a diaper motorcycle. Here’s a collection of other diaper creations to use for baby shower centerpieces from Frugal Fanatic.
If you liked this April Showers Diaper Cake you might also like…