Homemade strawberry ice cream using simple ingredients and sun ripened strawberries for a fresh strawberry flavor. So delicious, so creamy and so good! You might also like our key lime ice cream or our peanut butter buckeye ice cream!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
(scroll down for full recipe)
We received an older version of this ice cream maker as a wedding gift 19 years ago and it still works like a charm. It’s one of those things we wouldn’t have purchased as newlyweds, but were so glad to have. It’s been so fun making homemade ice cream throughout the years. I highly recommend investing in one—you’ll love it! You can make so many different ice creams in it (no churn, chilled custard, and sorbet varieties). Just process in the ice cream maker according to the instruction manual.
The amount of strawberries and texture is completely up to you! I generally add 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups of mashed or blended strawberries. You’ll get the most flavor by sprinkling the mashed berries with sugar and lemon juice and letting it sit at room temperature until nice and juicy (30-60 minutes). We like adding handful or two of diced strawberries to our ice cream too. If you don’t like chunks of frozen fruit, you can totally skip that part.
- strawberries: mashed or blended
- lemon juice
- heavy cream
- milk: whole milk works best, but 2% can be used as well
- vanilla extract*
- red food coloring: totally optional, but Mac asked to add a couple of drops.
- extra strawberries, diced (optional)
*(our homemade vanilla made from vodka and vanilla beans is the best, and I’ve heard that a small amount of vodka/alcohol makes ice cream even creamier because it prevents the ice cream from freezing HARD. I only use a tablespoon so I’m not sure if it makes a huge difference or not.)
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream
- Mash strawberries with a potato masher in a large bowl (or pulse in a blender) and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Add lemon juice. Stir. Let stand 30-60 minutes.
- Mix whipping cream, remaining sugar and milk together.
- Add vanilla and strawberries. If you’d like some chunks of strawberries you can add a handful of diced strawberries to your mixture. I sprinkled some on top of mine and they froze into little chunks.
- Add a couple of drops of red food coloring, if desired. If you blend your strawberries smooth your ice cream will already be a nice pink/red color. If you mash or dice the berries you’ll have more chunks of frozen fruit and a lighter colored ice cream.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Process as directed in manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream is the consistency of frozen yogurt, remove and spoon into a loaf pan or glass dish. For my machine, this takes about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy ice cream right away (soft serve consistency) or freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups diced or mashed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Mash (or blend) strawberries and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Add lemon juice. Stir. Let stand 30-60 minutes or until nice and juicy.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, milk, remaining sugar, vanilla, mashed strawberries, and food coloring. If you want chunks of berries, you can also add a handful of diced strawberries to the mixture and stir.Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Enjoy right away as soft serve ice cream or transfer mixture to a freezer dish and freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.