Homemade strawberry ice cream using simple ingredients and sun-ripened strawberries for a fresh strawberry flavor. So delicious, so creamy and so good!
Watch our step-by-step video!
It’s strawberry season here in Virginia so we’ve been busy making delicious recipes with our freshly picked berries! Mac’s favorite ice cream is strawberry, and homemade strawberry ice cream always tastes amazing. The fresh strawberry ice cream tastes like fresh strawberries and cream—exactly what it’s made from!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
(scroll down for the full recipe)
We received an older version of this ice cream maker as a wedding gift 19 years ago and it still works like a charm. It’s one of those things we wouldn’t have purchased as newlyweds but were so glad to have. It’s been so fun making homemade ice cream throughout the years. I highly recommend investing in one—you’ll love it! You can make so many different ice creams in it (no churn, chilled custard, and sorbet varieties). Just process it in the ice cream maker according to the instruction manual.
Fresh or Frozen Strawberries for Ice Cream
The amount of strawberries and texture is completely up to you! I generally add 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups of mashed or blended strawberries. You’ll get the most flavor by sprinkling the mashed berries with sugar and lemon juice and letting it sit at room temperature until nice and juicy (30-60 minutes).
You can also use frozen strawberries if you’d like. Let them thaw then chop and blend as directed in the recipe.
- strawberries: blended
- lemon juice
- heavy cream
- milk: whole milk works best, but 2% can be used as well
- vanilla extract*
*(our homemade vanilla made from vodka and vanilla beans is the best, and I’ve heard that a small amount of vodka/alcohol makes ice cream even creamier because it prevents the ice cream from freezing HARD. I only use a teaspoon so I’m not sure if it makes a huge difference or not.).
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream
- Mash strawberries with a potato masher in a large bowl (or pulse in a blender) and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Add lemon juice. Stir. Let stand for 30-60 minutes.
- Mix whipping cream, remaining sugar, and milk together.
- Add vanilla and strawberries.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Process the ice cream as directed in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream is the consistency of frozen yogurt, remove it and spoon it into a loaf pan or glass dish. For my machine, this takes about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy ice cream right away (soft serve consistency) or freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.
3 More NO-BAKE Strawberry Recipes
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups mashed/blended strawberries
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend strawberries and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Add lemon juice. Stir. Let stand for 30-60 minutes or until nice and juicy.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, milk, remaining sugar, vanilla, and blended strawberries. Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Enjoy right away as soft serve ice cream or transfer mixture to a freezer dish and freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.
Welcome! I'm Brandy, mother to 5 darling kiddos and a cute black lab named Toby. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we've lived all over the place, turning each house into a home. I love baking, sewing, making cute things with my kids, and sharing what I've learned with all of you!