Homemade strawberry ice cream using simple ingredients and sun ripened strawberries. So delicious, so creamy and so good! You might also like our key lime ice cream or our peanut butter buckeye ice cream!
It’s strawberry season here in Virginia so we’ve been busy making delicious recipes with our fresh picked berries! Mac’s favorite ice cream is strawberry so we made a batch and updated this post with a new video!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
(scroll down for full recipe)
We received an older version of this ice cream maker as a wedding gift 19 years ago and it still works like a charm. It’s one of those things we wouldn’t have purchased as newlyweds, but were so glad to have. It’s been so fun making our own ice cream throughout the years. I highly recommend investing in one—you’ll love it!
The amount of strawberries and texture is completely up to you! I generally add 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups of mashed or blended strawberries. You’ll get the most flavor by sprinkling the mashed berries with sugar and letting it sit at room temperature until nice and juicy (30-60 minutes). We like adding handful or two of diced strawberries to our ice cream too. If you don’t like chunks of frozen fruit, you can totally skip that part.
- strawberries: mashed or blended
- whipping cream
- milk: whole milk works best, but 2% can be used as well
- red food coloring: totally optional, but Mac asked to add a couple of drops.
- extra strawberries, diced (optional)
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream
- Mash strawberries and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Stir. Let stand 30-60 minutes until juicy.
- Mix whipping cream, sugar and milk together.
- Add vanilla and strawberries. If you’d like some chunks of strawberries you can add a handful of diced strawberries to your mixture.
- Add a couple of drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Process as directed in manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream is the consistency of frozen yogurt, remove and spoon into a loaf pan or glass dish. For my machine, this takes about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy ice cream right away (soft serve consistency) or freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups diced or mashed fresh strawberries
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Mash (or blend) strawberries and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over them. Stir. Let stand 30-60 minutes until juicy.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, milk, remaining sugar, vanilla, mashed strawberries, and food coloring. If you want chunks of berries, you can also add a handful of diced strawberries to the mixture and stir.Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Enjoy right away as soft serve ice cream or transfer mixture to a freezer dish and freeze for 3-4 hours for scoopable ice cream.