Did you know that you can make homemade Tootsie Rolls out of basic baking ingredients! It’s true! Baking cocoa, powdered sugar, dry milk, vanilla, and corn syrup. They are a fun and easy treat to make with the kids. This post was originally shared in 2011 and has since been updated to include a step by step video. This post contains an affiliate link.
Watch our step by step video!
Tootsie Roll Ingredients
- baking cocoa
- powdered milk
- powdered sugar
- corn syrup
How To Make Tootsie Rolls
- The first thing you’ll do is heat the butter, baking cocoa, and corn syrup in a saucepan. It doesn’t need to boil or simmer, it just needs to come together. The butter will melt and combine with the cocoa and corn syrup to produce a smooth texture.
- Stir in vanilla and powdered milk and remove from heat. I like using a dough whisk for this part, but a wooden spoon works too.
- Then you need to thicken the mixture with powdered sugar. Start with 2 cups and stir it all together. It will be a thick and sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to the work surface (covered in powdered sugar) and add more powdered sugar (about 1/2 cup) on top of the dough. Knead until the sugar has been mixed in and you have a soft, workable dough. You might need a little more sugar to accomplish this.
- Roll out Tootsie Roll dough into long ropes and cut with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper and chill for an hour.
3 More Candy Recipes To Make
Homemade Tootsie Roll Recipe
Homemade Tootsie Rolls
- 6 Tbsp. Baking cocoa
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Powdered Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar divided
- 1/2 cup Corn Syrup
- In a sauce pan (on med) heat butter, cocoa, and corn syrup until smooth and melted.
- Stir in the powdered milk and the vanilla extract. Remove from heat.
- Add a cup of the powdered sugar and stir until it is incorporated. Once that sugar is mixed in, add a second cup of powdered sugar and stir to mix. At this point the dough will start getting stiff and it might be difficult to stir more powdered sugar into the candy.
- Dust your work surface with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and knead the candy until it is smooth. If it is still very soft, knead in a little more powdered sugar until it is firm but not dry or crumbly.
- The dough might be a little sticky, but it dries as you work with it so I just sprayed my hands with a little cooking spray to keep the dough from sticking and I didn’t have any issues.
- Once the homemade Tootsie Roll candy is smooth and a firm, break off a small piece and roll it into a long, thin rope. Using a sharp knife, cut it into small pieces and place them on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat until you have formed all of the Tootsie Roll dough into small pieces. We ended up with over 75 pieces.
- Refrigerate the tray of Tootsie Rolls until they firm up, for about 1 hour. Wrap the homemade Tootsie Rolls in waxed paper to keep them from sticking to each other.