Everything you love about English toffee, in cookie bar form! These pecan toffee bars are loaded with pecans and chocolate, spread a delicious cookie crust. They are simply the best.
Watch our step by step video!
Toffee bars are a childhood favorite treat. My mom would make these, and they were so buttery and good. I make mine a little differently, but they are still super easy and absolutely delicious.
What are toffee bars?
Despite the name, there isn’t an ounce of toffee inside these bars. They are a cookie bar with all of the same elements of English toffee: butter, sugar, chocolate and nuts.
Cookie Dough Base
The ingredients are simple. Combine butter, brown sugar, an egg yolk and vanilla. Then add flour and salt.
My version includes chocolate chips and pecans in the cookie dough as well as on top. So go ahead and add 1 c. of chocolate chips and 1/2 c. chopped pecans to your cookie dough before pressing it into a 9×13 baking dish.
Melting The Chocolate
Once the cookie bars have baked until golden brown, sprinkle with more chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes. This will give the chocolate chips time to soften.
Use a spatula or butter knife to spread melted chocolate evenly across the cookie bars. Sprinkled with more chopped pecans.
Finishing the Toffee Bars
Chill the toffee bars in the refrigerator until the chocolate is almost set. Cut into 24 bars using a knife. You can eat them with a fork at this point (and they are super soft and delicious) or wait until the chocolate is completely set.
This recipe makes 24 delicious bars. Cover with plastic or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days for best results.
3 More Cookie Bar Recipes You’ll Love!
Ultimate Pecan Toffee Bars Recipe
Pecan Toffee Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 oz. package chocolate chips 2 cups, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until cookie dough forms.
- Stir in 1 c. chocolate chips and 1/2 c. chopped pecans.
- Press cookie dough into greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Let sit 5 minutes. Spread chocolate evenly over bars.
- Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Let cool 30 minutes. Slice into 24 bars.
- Serve soft or allow chocolate to set completely before serving.