I set out to figure out a banana bread recipe as good as theirs.
I am going to let you in on my trick (I use it with my yeast breads too) and then I will share my perfect banana bread recipe
The key to a perfectly moist banana bread is wrapping it while it is still warm.
I do something similar with my yeast breads too. We usually eat a loaf right away, but I wrap the second loaf while still slightly warm and it creates a little condensation and keeps the crust moist since yeast bread dries out quickly.If you don’t believe me, watch this video. I knew that wrapping it would moisten the bread, but it wasn’t until I watched this video that I learned that the bananas actually need to sit for awhile after being baked into the bread too. You learn something new every day!
Thick, moist, dense with bananas and slightly sticky on top.
Bakery Style Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 c . sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 over-ripe bananas mashed
- 1 (5.1 oz) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 c . whole milk
- 4 c . flour
- 4 tsp . baking powder
- 1 tsp . salt
- 2 c . chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth and add bananas. Mix in pudding mix and milk. Add salt and baking powder and flour, one cup at a time. Stir in nuts.
- Lightly spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. If it seems as thought your bread is getting too brown, too fast, you can tent it slightly with a piece of foil the last 15 minutes or so. Insert a toothpick. If it comes out really doughy, bake another 8 minutes and check it again. Toothpick should come out with a little stickiness on it, but shouldn't have batter clinging to it.
- Let bread stand for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges to loosen it up. Turn out on flat surface and wrap in plastic wrap. Allow to rest on a cooling rack 6-8 hours.
To reheat, place slices on a microwave save plate and heat for 5-7 seconds.
Bonus! I use this recipe for my zucchini bread too. Just use 3 cups of shredded zucchini and 2 tsp. cinnamon and omit the bananas.