These cherry turnovers with homemade puff pastry are the real deal. They are made using an easy-to-follow homemade puff pastry recipe. If you’ve ever been intimidated by making your own French puff pastry you’ll definitely want to try these! The process takes a bit of time, but it isn’t hard and your patience will reward you with buttery and flaky pastries that are to die for.
Cherry Turnovers with Homemade Puff Pastry (Printable Recipe)
Cherry Turnovers With Homemade Puff Pastry
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons chilled butter 3 1/4 sticks
- 1 cup ice water plus more as needed
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- sugar for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Sift together flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Dice 6 tablespoons of the chilled butter, returning the remaining butter to the refrigerator to keep cold.
- Place the diced butter into the mixing bowl and using a pastry blender, blend until the mixture is a coarse meal.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the water. Use a rubber spatula to gradually blend the water with the flour mixture, mixing just until a rough, sticky dough is formed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the remaining butter on a work surface, (a marble surface is ideal). Using a rolling pin or the heal of your hand, smash the butter into the surface until pliable, taking care not to over work the butter as it should stay chilled. Work butter into a 5-inch square.
- Remove the rested dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle, being careful not to pull or tear the dough. (The dough mixture may still be very rough and tacky.) Place the butter square into the center of the circle and fold the edges of the dough over the butter, pressing to seal the edges. You should now have a square of butter wrapped in dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the square into a 16 by 8-inch rectangle. (The dough may need to be pounded with the rolling pin several times to allow the butter to become more pliable.) Be careful not to tear the dough. Fold the rectangle 3 times as you would fold a business letter.
- Place the rectangle in front of you lengthwise and roll into another 16 by 8-inch rectangle.
- Fold again 3 times as you would a business letter and make 2 small indentations into the dough to remind yourself that it has been rolled twice. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Return the rested dough to a lightly floured surface and repeat the process of rolling the dough into a rectangle, making 3 business-letter folds, 2 times. Make 4 small indentations into the dough to remind yourself that it has been rolled a total of 4 times.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If desired, dough can rest refrigerated for up to 2 days at this point.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll into a 16 by 8-inch rectangle and fold 3 times, similar to a business letter. Repeat process and make 6 small indentations into the dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Now the pastry is ready to be rolled and used in the desired puff pastry recipe.
- Roll dough 1/4" thick and cut it (using a pizza cutter) into 6-7" squares. Add a tablespoon of filling in the center, then folded the square in half to form a triangle.
- Dip a finger in water and run it along the seam and press to close. Mix egg and water to create an egg wash and brush the tops of pastries using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake @ 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until golden.
How many cherry turnovers does one batch of homemade puff pastry make?
This recipe will make 15-20 turnovers when rolled out 1/4″ and cut into 6″ squares.
What makes puff pastry puff?
Each time you roll out the dough and fold it into thirds it creates layers of butter. After repeating this process over and over and allowing the dough to chill, you have created quite a few layers that will expand when baking into the delicious puff pastry found at bakeries. A hot oven temperature also helps the puff pastries rise. Bake at 400 degrees.
What does the egg wash do for the homemade puff pastry?
An egg wash over a loaf or bread or batch of pastries helps the crust to brown.
Can I make puff pastry ahead of time?
This recipe will last for 2 days in the refrigerator before being rolled out a final time and baked.