These are the BEST 1 hour dinner rolls. Buttery pillows of dough, baked until golden. Start to finish in an hour. Perfect for weeknights, slider sandwiches for lunches, and holiday dinners! If you’re looking for a fancier version, check out our knotted dinner rolls.
Looking for a quick sweet bread recipe? Try our quick rise cinnamon rolls. They come together in 90 minutes!
Watch our step by step video!
My family absolutely loves these rolls. They are perfect for sandwiches, spread with honey butter or jam, or served with dinner. When you don’t feel like waiting 2 1/2 hours for yeast rolls, these rolls will definitely hit the spot.
Bonus: here is recipe to make the cinnamon honey butter from Texas Roadhouse.
These rolls are literally 1 hour from start to finish.
1 Hour Dinner Rolls
These are basically our knotted dinner rolls in different form. We skipped the initial 1 hour rise and moved straight to rolling out the dough.
They are still buttery, soft, and delicious. You’ll wonder if it’s worth letting rolls rise for an hour ever again. Spoiler alert: YES. Yes, it is worth going the extra mile for soft, feathery rolls—but these 1 hour knock-off versions are DARN GOOD. Just in a different way.
How To Make Rolls In An Hour
- yeast (rapid rise or instant)
- more butter for brushing on finished rolls
- Heat milk, butter and sugar in a microwave safe bowl for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir. Allow to cool for a bit so that it is warm and not HOT.
- Combine 3 cups of flour with salt and yeast. Add the milk/butter mixture and egg. Stir until smooth. Add remaining flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead dough until smooth (3-5 minutes).
- Divide dough into 2 sections and roll each section into a 10″ x 15″ rectangle.
- Slice each rectangle into 12 squares (24 squares total) using a pizza cutter. You can even up the sides for nice straight edges with the pizza cutter if you’d like.
- Place rolls on greased baking sheets and let rise 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake rolls at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes, until tops are lightly brown. Brush generously with melted butter.
Yield: 24 delicious dinner rolls.
More Quick Breads You’ll Love
The Best 1 Hour Dinner Rolls Recipe
The BEST 1 Hour Dinner Rolls
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 6 cups flour divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons yeast 2 packets, instant or rapid rise
- 1/4 cup melted butter to brush over finished rolls
- Heat milk, sugar and butter in microwave safe bowl for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir. The mixture should be warm, not too hot. If it's hot, let it cool down a bit before adding it to the flour.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of flour with the yeast and salt. Add milk/butter mixture and egg. Mix until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups of flour until soft dough forms.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide dough into 2 sections. Roll out each section into a 10" x 15" rectangle. Slice each rectangle into 12 squares (24 squares total).
- Place squares on 2 greased baking sheets (12 per sheet). Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Brush rolls generously with melted butter.