You’ll love these jalapeno cheese rolls! Brushed with butter, stuffed with cheese and jalapeno peppers, rolled up, then baked until golden.
Watch our step by step video!
I might have a giant sweet tooth, but I’m always down for savory bread. Have you tried our sausage bread? Yum. My dad’s jalapeno cheese bread recipe is one of our favorites and my kids love it so much that they make it on their own. We decided to put a spin on it and made rolls!
Jalapeno Cheese Rolls
Our jalapeno cheese rolls are so cheesy and soft. Rolled up cinnamon roll-style, they and full of butter, cheese, and diced jalapeno peppers giving them just the right kick of heat. This recipe makes 12 rolls. Ready to make a batch? Let’s get started!
Jalapeno Cheese Rolls Ingredients
Start with a basic batch of dough. My favorite go-to bread dough is Amish white bread (recipe shared at the end of the post). I use it for so many recipes including cinnamon swirl bread and apple cinnamon pull-apart bread. You can also use a loaf of frozen bread dough (Rhodes).
You’ll also need cheese, jalapeño peppers in a jar, and butter. Of course.
CAN I MAKE JALAPEÑO CHEESE Rolls WITH FRESH JALAPEÑOS?
You’ll definitely want the sliced jalapeños that come in a jar. They are juicy, already cooked, and much better for this recipe. Save those fresh ones for our baked jalapeño poppers or jalapeño egg roll recipe. Give the jalapeños a good chopping so that they are nice and tiny and will be evenly dispersed throughout the bread.
How To Make Jalapeno Cheese Rolls
Preheat the oven for a couple of minutes, or until warm. Turn the oven off. You’re just heating it enough to be a warm place for the bread to rise.
Mix water and yeast and sugar. Allow to sit 5 minutes or until yeast looks foamy. Add remaining dough ingredients and mix in a stand mixer or with a Danish dough whisk until evenly distributed and soft dough forms. Knead dough on a floured surface for a few minutes.
Add 1 Tbsp. oil to the bowl, place the dough into the bowl and turn dough to coat on both sides. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in the warmed oven. Let rise for until doubled, about an hour.
Roll dough into a 12″x18″ rectangle and spread with softened butter. Sprinkle with cheese and chopped peppers.
Roll up, pinch dough to secure seam, and slice into 12 sections (dental floss works great for slicing).
Place jalapeno cheese rolls in a 9×13 greased baking dish. Let rolls rise 40 minutes.
Bake rolls at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush finished rolls with melted butter (optional).
Jalapeno Cheese Rolls Recipe
Jalapeno Cheese Rolls
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast 1 packet
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar cheese or a mix of shredded cheeses)
- 6 oz. sliced jalapeños chopped (from a jar)
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter for brushing
- Let warm water, yeast and sugar proof in a bowl for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time.You can use a stand mixer with a dough hook or a Danish dough whisk to make the dough. I prefer these to using a wooden spoon.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth.
- Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Roll dough out to a 12"x18" rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup softened butter.Sprinkle with shredded cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Roll dough up tightly and pinch seams to secure. Slice into 12 sections (dental floss works great for this) and place in a greased 9x13" baking dish.
- Lightly cover with a cloth or piece of plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until tops are golden.Brush rolls with 2 Tbsp. of melted butter (optional).