This delicious cherry filled candy cane braided bread is drizzled with a sweet vanilla icing! It’s the perfect treat for the holidays. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
I have a slight problem with baking an insane amount of goodies during December. And yes, I’ve already started! Here is a sneak peek into my busy kitchen!
Years ago a friend gave us a beautifully braided tree pastry as a Christmas gift. It was made out of sweet dough, filled with cinnamon and sugar, braided to look like a tree, then drizzled in vanilla glaze. She added maraschino cherries after baking to look like ornaments. It was so fun and delicious too.
Inspired by her creativity, I made a cherry filled candy cane braided bread for our family to enjoy!
Cherry Candy Cane Braided Bread Recipe
Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
*I have a hard time with the taste of whole wheat flour, especially when it comes to pastries and treats. Instead, I buy unbleached white flour and recently picked up a package of Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached White Flour. You can use whatever flour you’d like, but if you choose whole wheat I would suggest using a mixture of whole wheat and all-purpose.
You can leave it as is, or shape into a candy cane braided bread.
Cherry Christmas Loaf
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 c butter softened
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T instant yeast
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons hot water
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in butter; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add water, egg and the milk mixture; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a 15×10 inch rectangle.
- Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet and spoon pie filling down the center, about 3″ wide.
- Cut strips down each side of the dough, just to the filling. 3/4″-1″ wide.
- Begin folding sides over each other, alternating left to right. Press down to seal ends.
- (You can leave it as is, or shape into a candy cane.)
- Stretch loaf out to about 20″ long and fold down to form candy cane shape.
- Cover and let raise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then drizzle with vanilla glaze.
- Vanilla Glaze: Mix powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla. Stir in water, 1 T. at a time until smooth.
- Drizzle over warm loaf of bread.
You might also like these other pastry recipes…