I come from a very musical family. My Mom and siblings, 6 aunts, and many of my cousins play musical instruments and sing. My Mom has played the violin for over 40 years as well as the piano, guitar, mandolin, and hammered dulcimer. So I thought she might enjoy this wreath centered around her passion for her birthday.
I made a book wreath several years ago and that was fun, but I LOVED how these sheet music wreaths turned out.
After I made a violin framed one for my mom, I decided to make a piano one for my aunt who taught me how to play….for free. She gave up her time once a week for almost 2 years and taught me to play. In turn, I’ve taught piano for the past 8 years as well as played the organ and piano almost every Sunday for the past 15 years. What a blessing her gift was to me. So I made this one and it will be sent on its merry way to California. I hope she likes it.
And I may be partial to the piano, but out of the two, it is my favorite wreath.
The process is very simple and straight forward. I made sheet music roses—a ton of them. Here is the tutorial that I used to make mine. I used a hair clip to hold the tip to roll it nice and tight. It worked like a charm. Each wreath used 60-70 roses sp it was a good activity to do while watching a movie at night. We had a box of old sheet music and books that I used for this project. I think “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash ended up on one of the sections of the wreath. I have no idea where that came from.
As you’ll see by scrolling down to the bottom of the post, the violin frame was different than this one. The violin one was purchased at Michael’s for $1. When I went back, they didn’t carry them anymore so I found this one at Hobby Lobby with a coupon for $4. I loved it. I went online and printed out a wallet sized clip art image of a vintage piano and placed it inside of the frame. Then I pulled off the hinge on the back so that it would sit nice and flat against the wreath.
I cut strips of sheet music and started wrapping and hot gluing to cover the green foam. That way, if there are any gaps, the green won’t show. This is only half of a wreath base. I used a serrated knife and cut the base into 2 sections. 2 wreaths for the price of one, and it is nice to have a flat back to make hanging it easier.
Then I glued. And glued and glued. 1 wreath took almost 4 full sized rods of hot glue. And I only got 1 glue burn….not too shabby.
I decided where I wanted my frame and hot glued it to the base. Then I glued the roses around it. Nice and tight together.
And here is the finished product. I LOVE it. Maybe someday I’ll sit down and make one for myself, but for now I think I am done with making paper roses. I need a break!
I glued a loop on the back out of twine for a hanger and since the wreath is not very heavy, it worked out great.
It would also look nice on a shelf or top of a piano.
And here is my mom’s violin wreath.
Thanks for looking!