Our color block cosmetic bag sewing tutorial is simple to follow and makes the cutest little bag! It’s just the right size to tuck inside a backpack or purse to keep the essentials. Great for teens! This post contains affiliate links.
Watch our step by step video!
I love bright pops of color, and especilly love colored blocked items. Have you seen our color block water bottle holders for kids? I made these three years ago, and my kids still use them all the time!
These little cosmetic bags are just the right size to tuck inside a backpack or purse. Finished size: 5″ x 6″.
Small Cosmetic Bag for Teens
I made a stack of these for Kaylee and her friends to use in their backpack or locker at school. The perfect place to stash essentials, and small enough to be discrete while carrying it to the bathroom, if needed.
Color Block Cosmetic Bag Tutorial Supplies
- This is a great scrap buster project. I used solid cotton scraps and calico for the lining. Have fun and mix and match colors!
- I always have a basket full of colorful zippers. I buy them in a large assortment. They are 12″ long, and I shorten them to whatever size I need. Have you ever shortened a zipper before? It’s SO EASY to do. Here is a great tutorial showing you how.
The little bag is fully lined and has a layer of interfacing for stability. I like using a thicker interfacing (looks like thin felt/fleece) that is fusible. It gives the bags a study feel.
You’ll also need a sewing machine, iron/ironing board, scissors, pins, and a measuring tape.
Kaylee said that this yellow and pink one was her favorite because it reminded her of strawberry lemonade. I totally agree.
Ready to make 1 or 3 cute color blocked cosmetic bags? Let’s get started!
Color Block Cosmetic Bag Sewing Tutorial
Color Block Cosmetic Bag Sewing Tutorial
- sewing machine
- measuring tape
- Fusible Interfacing felt thickness
- 1 6" Zipper
- Cut out fabric according to guide. You will need 2 lining pieces, 2 interfacing pieces, 4 strips for the main fabric and 2 strips for the accent fabric.
- Sew 2 main fabric pieces and 1 accent piece together with the accent color in the middle. Repeat for other outer piece. Use a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Press seams flat.
- Iron fusible interfacing to the back of each outer piece.
- Top stitch across the top and bottom of the accent piece.
- Place one lining piece onto your work surface with the right side of the fabric facing you. Place the zipper on top.
- Place one of the outer pieces on top with the right side of the fabric facing down, sandwiching the zipper in between the lining and outer layers. Pin across the top.
- Use a zipper foot attachment on your sewing machine to stitch close to the zipper. Start sewing a few inches down, to avoid sewing near the zipper pull. Then go back, open the zipper, and sew the first few inches. If you need a better visual, watch my step by step video.
- Now you are going to do this again with the second lining piece, the other side of the zipper, and the other outer piece. Place the other lining piece onto your work surface with the right side of the fabric facing you. Place the zipper on top.
- Place the other outer piece over the zipper, with the right side of the fabric facing you. Pin. Sew close to zipper using zipper foot attachment, opening and closing the zipper as you stitch near it.
- Open the layers flat and top stitch close to the zipper.
- Open the zipper half way. This is important for turning the bag right side out later!
- Bring outer layer pieces together and pin.
- Bring lining pieces together and pin.
- It should look like the following image. Leave a space in the lining for turning the bag right side out. I marked this area with double pins.Begin sewing at one set of double pins and continue all the way around until you come to the second set of double pins.
- Clip corners and turn bag right side out through the opening in the lining.
- Fold over the opening in the lining and pin. Hand stitch or machine stitch the opening closed.
- Tuck the lining inside the bag and smooth everything out. Your little cosmetic bag is complete!