These Grinch and Santa hat ice cream sundaes are so fun for the holidays! 2 scoops of mint or vanilla ice cream, a red cone hat and whipped cream! This post contains an affiliate link.
Watch our step by step video!
It wouldn’t be the holidays without the Grinch. These mint Grinch sundaes are ridiculously easy to make. Prefer Santa? Use vanilla ice cream! You can even add a whipped cream beard!
I found these cute Santa suit ramekins at Michaels for $1 each about 10 years ago. They no longer carry them, but you really don’t need them. The magic is all in the ice cream cone hat! If you’d like some inexpensive red paper cups, these treat cups would fit the bill, but any small bowl would work.
Grinch ICe Cream Sundaes
- red candy melts: You can buy these at any craft store. I found mine at Walmart for $2.50 a bag.
- sugar cones: sugar cones work best for making Santa hats. They are the perfect cone shape and size.
- mini marshmallows: each hat is topped with a mini marshmallow pom pom.
- ice cream: mint for a Grinch and vanilla for Santa.
- whipped cream: add details around the hat or a Santa beard with whipped cream!
Ice Cream Cone Santa hat Directions
Let’s make some sugar cone hats!
Melt the candy melts in the microwave. I like heating them in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment.
Spread over each sugar cone. Place cones on parchment lined platter or baking sheet. Press a mini marshmallow onto the tops of each hat and let cool until firm.
Don’t worry about covering the edge in candy melts. You are going to press the cone into the ice cream and add whipped cream around the hat. You won’t see the bottom edge of the cone.
Note: You’ll probably have some extra melted candy melts so add a spoonful into a small plastic bag. Cut the corner off of the bag and make tiny hearts on parchment paper! Let those set up and you can add one to your Grinch sundae.
Add two scoops of mint ice cream into a small bowl. Press a hat into the ice cream. Add whipped cream bursts around the edge of the hat.
Add a small candy melt heart!
Serve sundaes immediately.
3 More Holiday Treats You’ll Love!
Grinch Santa Hat Ice Cream Sundaes
Grinch Santa Hat Ice Cream
- 6 oz. red candy melts (half of a bag)
- 6 sugar cones
- 6 mini marshmallows
- mint chocolate chip ice cream (vanilla for Santa)
- whipped cream
- Line a platter or baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Melt red candy melts in a microwave safe bowl in 30-second increments (stirring after each increment) until smooth and melted.
- Spoon melted candy onto ice cream cone.
- Place ice cream cones on parchment paper baking sheet. Press a mini marshmallow onto the top of the cone and press firmly. The melted candy will help it stick to the cone.
- Allow cones to set up.
- Use extra melted candy to make hearts. (Optional, but fun!) Spoon melted candy into a plastic baggie. Cut the corner with a pair of scissors. Pipe small hearts onto parchment paper. Allow hearts to set up.
- Add 2 scoops of mint or vanilla ice cream into a cup. Press ice cream cone into ice cream for the hat.
- Add whipped cream around the hat.Place small heart onto ice cream. Serve imediately!