Hot cocoa cookies are chocolatey, rich, full of marshmallows, and delicious. Just like a cup of decadent hot cocoa.
Watch our step by step video!
If you’re looking for a cookie to wow friends this year at cookie exchanges and holiday parties this is it! These hot cocoa cookies are so delicious, and loaded with chocolate and marshmallows.
I make mine with dark baking cocoa, but you can use whatever you have in your cupboard. The cookies are topped with half of a marshmallow as soon as they come out of the oven then go back into the oven for a couple more minutes. This allows the marshmallow to get nice and soft before pressing it down with a spoon to flatten it.
A chocolate ganache glaze is drizzled over the cookies and sprinkles are added to make them nice and festive. Once the ganache sets up these cookies can be stored in a container for easy transport! This recipe makes 28 cookies.
Hot Cocoa Cookies Ingredients
(Scroll to the end of the post for a printable version)
CHOCOLATE COOKIE DOUGH
- melted butter
- unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark for these)
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- vanilla extract
- large eggs
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
The chocolate cookie dough is fool-proof and yields perfect cookies every time. I use it as a base for all of my chocolate cookie recipes!
- milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- honey (or corn syrup)
My glaze is one that I use for donuts, Hostess cupcakes, and s’mores cookies. Perfect for dipping and spooning. I use the microwave to prepare my glaze, but you can do it over the stove (on medium-low heat) or in a double boiler.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
Combine melted butter and cocoa powder in a large bowl and mix. Add sugars and mix until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients.
Chill cookie dough in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to an hour.
Scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
While cookies bake, cut marshmallows in half using a pair of scissors.
Place half of a marshmallow (sticky-side-down) on top of the hot cookies. Place cookies BACK INTO THE OVEN and bake another 2-3 minutes, until marshmallows look slightly puffy. DO NOT OVERCOOK MARSHMALLOWS.
Remove the cookies from the oven and gently press each marshmallow down with the back of a spoon.
Let the cookies sit on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Melt glaze ingredients together and drizzle over cookies. Add sprinkles, if desired.
Refrigerate or place in the freezer until the glaze sets up.
These cookies can be enjoyed at room temperature or chilled. Lightly cover the cookie sheet with plastic wrap. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 14 marshmallows (not miniature)
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 4 teaspoons honey (or corn syrup)
- Melt two sticks of butter (1 cup) in the microwave. Combine melted butter and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Stir until smooth.
- Mix brown sugar and white sugar with the butter/cocoa mixture.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Cover bowl with plastic and chill dough for 45 minutes- 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets using a medium cookie scoop (2 Tbsp. size).
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. While cookies bake cut marshmallows in half with scissors.Place a marshmallow half (sticky side down) onto each hot cookie. Place cookies back in the oven and bake an additional 2-3 minutes (marshmallows should be slightly puffed). DO NOT OVERBAKE MARSHMALLOWS.
- Press each marshmallow down with the back of a spoon.
- Let cool on a cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Heat glaze ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat for an additional 15-20 seconds. Stir until smooth and creamy. If additional time is needed do it in 10-second increments. Note: You can use a double boiler or small saucepan over the stove to melt the chocolate and glaze instead of a microwave if you want. Drizzle glaze over cookies. Add sprinkles, if desired. Allow glaze to set up (placing cookies back into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes will speed this up).Cookies can be enjoyed chilled or at room temperature.